Fly Tying

Flymart has moved

Just for your info, Flymart formerly located at 1000 N. Main st. in downtown Royal Oak has moved to Waterford Mi. Their address is now 4650 West Walton Blvd. Phone # 248-673-3474. For anyone in that area you are lucky Flymart is the best store in the S.E. Mi. I hope this might save someone a wasted trip, Good Fishing.

I know :( I lived 1/2 mile from Flymart and was one of John's first customers. Been "My" fly shop for 11 years now till they moved last week. Wish John would have tried to stay more local :angry:

Just placed an order from Stockard though, so looks like they will be getting all my business from now on.

SD

We have a couple decent shops within 45 miles from where I live. There's a Gander Mountain about 20 miles away and a couple others a little further out. There's a couple I won't buy anything from again because of a comment made by the owner of the 2 stores about my choice of TFO rods. I fish the Little Red quite a bit and I try to support the Little Red Fly Shop as much as possible. There's a couple shops near the White and Norfork I buy from when I'm in the area. I guess what I'm saying is I try to support the local shop as much as I can. I want to try to support on-line sponsors like Stockard's but I have gotten such good service from Feather-Craft it's hard to stop using them. :help: Choices, choices.

Mike

Ya know, i was even trying to set up times for classes to take and was wondering why he was pretty much brushing me off <_< . I understand probably his "good" customers were in the proverbial loop, but for us little guys.......Well, since i don't have anything nice to say right now... i guess he lost quite a few customers over the move! He sure did pack up in a hurry though and seemingly without regard :angry:

AIG I dont think he really let anyone know that far ahead of time. Hell I've spent enough money in that shop over the past 11 years I bet I put at least 2 of his kids through school :blink: And yet I heard from a friend that they were moving. So I called and asked John and he said yeah, I asked when? he said about a week. So I didn't even know about it.

Thing I don't understand is not even 2 miles down the road on Main street there are a couple main street front buildings in Clawson that I know had to be cheaper than his Royal Oak location, so I dont know why he didnt check out those buildings. Everyone I know that were loyal customers to FM has said the same thing I said. It's just to damn far to go to where he's at now so looks like all our needs will be filled from online sources.

I really liked John alot because I had become somewhat "friends" with him since I spent so much time/money there, but it sure seem's like he just packed up and left in a hurry and didn't even try to take into consideration his loyal customer base he had here in this area :angry:

My thought's exactly SD. With having many different places closer to what was his customer base once was, it really makes you think because his customers (and even me being recent, but pretty good.....Not sending his kids through school though like you ;) ) are mostly going to be new and what was soo bad that he up and left for Waterford.... Clawson, Berkley, Rochester, and even Sterling Hts. i think would have been better.

But like you say about him not taking into consideration even his loyal customers....I take that into consideration and will not shop, take classes, nor use his guide service (if it's even available still) or recommend his shop to anyone, anymore. :angry:

In John's defense, there may be circumstances as to why the move was way in the heck out in Waterford. But yes, I was pretty disappointed to find out that he had moved. The store was already closed when my daughter noticed it on her way home from guitar lessons. He’s a great guy & always more than helpful. He never gave me the “do it my way ‘cause I’m an expert” B.S. you so often get at specialty shops.

I’ve lived my whole life in the Clawson/R.O. area & always try to patronize the local businesses. Over the years, we’ve lost the services of some great shops & owners: Neville & Kim Geake (& Al) at Geake & Son’s, the Khoubessers at Malaga Pipe Shop, Paul Grix at Royal Oak Range & others. And all within the last 10 or so years. At least Mr. Geake was able to put out the word that he was retiring.

I hope John continues to do well but I’ll have a heck of a time just stopping in for tippet & thread on my way doing errands. And, all the web site says is they’ve moved, I think a brief explanation would help soothe some of the disappointment for both the regulars & the occassionals.

Neville & Kim Geake (& Al) at Geake & Son’s,

Ahhhhh yeas Geake's on Woodward :headbang: Geake's was the very first fly shop that I ever went into back around 1985 or there abouts. I use to love just going in there and talking with Neville. He was the living picture of a classic old school fly fisherman, and could tell a story like no one else could. Just the smell of pipe smoke whenever I smell it takes me back to memories of walking into Geake's shop. That's a shop I really miss!

An update on the Flymart saga if anyone is interested.

Info about the move to Waterford:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/042...006042315.shtml

Then I get a promo in the mail for Hank's Fly shop. I found this on the net:

http://viewnewspapers.net/moxie/sports/3_4...b-7272006.shtml

Turns out that Bueters is no longer.

Then on a whim I went to Flymart's site where I find:

"FlymartFlyShop.com is now part of Schmidt Outfitters in Wellston Michigan. Flymart Flyshop closed it's Waterford store and the web site and technology is moving to schmidtoutfitters.com. Schmidt Outfitters is the premier fly shop and outfitter in the Great Lakes."

And...

"Schmidt Outfitters Buys Fly Mart's Online Store

Ray Schmidt of Schmidt Outfitters and Jeff Selser of Selser Media (owner of Flymart Online) announces today that Schmidt's has purchased the online business of Flymart Fly Shop formerly of Dearborn, MI. Flymart's online fly shop is one of the top fly fishing online stores in today's market."

I don't think I've ever heard of Schmidt's but it doesn't matter. Anyhow, one of the articles says John had to move due to his building being demolished. It was still there last Wednesday (9/12/06)

So I guess my choice is Outdoor World, a 25 minute drive instead of 5 minutes to Flymart. I kind of prefer to support Mom & Pop on this kind of stuff. I did so like being able to drop in for a spool of thread or some tippet when my errands took me by Flymart. The other choice is the Fly Expo at MCCC in the late winter. This year's show, (2006) I thought it was pretty slim pickings on the tying stuff. Most of the exhibitors were guide services or "Trout lifestyle memorabilia” like fake fish mounts.

If anyone in this part of Michigan comes up w/ an alternative, let folks know. I hope this was a move that was to John Vincent's benefit & not something forced on him.

Thanks to all & sorry for such a long post on a geographically limited topic.

Wow B)

The very last i've heard was that indeed John was looking for investors to uphold the good name FlyMart has established. It's obvious part has happened with the online store.

So many stories about why he moved i've heard though. Although from a few i have heard they booted him because of condo's going up or something like that. But yes, the building still stands where he once had a business in RO and i don't think very highly :poop: about the people that booted him!

I do however hope he was well compensated with the ability to retire! :cheers:

Schmidts is owned by Ray Schmidt of Wellston, its one of the main fly shops for the Big Manistee river and Ray is a guide for that river.

Here's what I heard from a buddy that spoke with John last month. The building isnt being demolished. The owners of the building are Frentz of the Frentz hardware next door and they came to John back in the spring and told him he had about 30 days to get out because they werent renewing his lease. Reason I have heard is because a member of the frentz family wanted the building for a business venture they are starting. (so I no longer will be a customer of Frentz!!)

So John only had a short time to get out so you cant fault him for leaving....but that begs the question of after 10 yrs in a building, who the hell goes month to month on a lease :huh: <_<

John had to close the doors back about late May/early June due to no business at the new location. Fly shops are a business based on repeat customers and moving that far away from your customer base you built over a 10 yr time frame killed FM within 2 months.

I feel sorry for John because last I heard he didnt know what he was gonna do for work since he has worked for himself for the past 11 yrs, but I cant say everyone didnt see it coming when you mve that far from your repeat customers when your such a specialized type of business.