Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Epoxy Ants

I just use my popper paint. It does not take much and does not appear to greatly affect the drying timeor hardness.

You can also just use a tying thread base with the color you want the ant to be. I tye them in black, red and cinnamon using thread as a underbody with an epoxy coating. The thread underbody gives the fly coloring some real depth and it looks more realistic in my opinion. I will photograph one hopefully later tonight and post it.

Rusty

I use 'Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails' finger nail polish on my ants and as head cement. It's the best I've used and easy to find. Thin, if needed, with acetone. Ralph

I use Herbie's Majic Dust and Pro-tec powdered paints that I buy at Gander Mountian. Mix up your epoxy and add a little of the powder to the mix and you've got colored epoxy. You can also mix the colors to make different colors of epoxy. It doesn't take much to color the epoxy so go easy. Try the glow in the dark powder. It makes some pretty cool looking flies. The stuff lasts forever and you get enough to make thousands of flies. Hope this helps.