Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fry

my first attempts at a damsel

these are my first two attempts at a damsel, i know the tying quality isn't very good but i have only just started tying my own flys. Please comment on them, also do you think the tails are too long?

Thanks

post-4783-1145388822_thumb.jpg

post-4783-1145388876_thumb.jpg

Looks good but I would shorten the tail, marabou= shank length. I usually tear the tip from the plume. Start wrapping the thread near the hook eye over the marabou, (dampen it helps) rearward to just above the hook barb, then make a coulpe wraps over the marabou between it and the shank then a couple more wraps over all. This props the marabou up and helps prevent fouling when casting.

Hi fry,

The flies look good. Joe's right about the tail length; they would fish fine but could cause short strikes. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I do have a question, what is the bead/ eye? I really like your fly. Man it looks killer. I would not steer you wrong, why would I. They eye/ bead looks like it is on top of the shank? Am I correct? I cant tell what it is, bead chain, bead :dunno: . I am thinking that what ever it is, it should be embedded in the head. Another thing you might want to add to this awesome pattern is... once the body has been finished add a soft hackle like partridge or grouse to mimic legs. Sure the marabou will work but the contrast of the soft hackle will be amazing. :headbang:

I do have a question, what is the bead/ eye? I really like your fly. Man it looks killer. I would not steer you wrong, why would I. They eye/ bead looks like it is on top of the shank? Am I correct? I cant tell what it is, bead chain, bead :dunno: . I am thinking that what ever it is, it should be embedded in the head. Another thing you might want to add to this awesome pattern is... once the body has been finished add a soft hackle like partridge or grouse to mimic legs. Sure the marabou will work but the contrast of the soft hackle will be amazing. :headbang:

the bead/eye is called a dumbel eye ( or something can't remember). From looking at the pictures again i think maybe a samller eye what do you think? .the marabou does go over the top of it but now you mentioned it I think there should have been more marabou over the top. I have ordered some more marabou should be here tomorow, I'll give it another go. Thanks for the tip about adding a soft hackle I'll try that aswell.

fry