Fly Tying
flyfishingboys

Fly Tying Bench

Hello,

Any one know of a place or website that offers plans for a fly tying bench? Besides fly tying I also enjoy woodworking and I'm looking to build a bench and need some ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

FF Boys,

I got mine from Plansnow.com. Go there and search Roll top desks. The plans were free, easy to follow, and accurate. I did make a few modifications to suit my needs. It wasn't as hard as it might look. Basic Woodworking tools and skills are all that is necessary. I got lucky and was given the Curly Maple. It was rough and needed planing, but off the shelf wood, even pine, would work.

The roll top is an ideal design for keeping things away from pets and children.

All I have to do is close the front, no more kitty in the feathers. E-mail me if you want more info. [email protected]

This is what I built:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Caddisfly

That looks awesome. Really good use of the grain. Wow!

I'm a woodworker, too, and the only place right now for my fly tying stuff is in my woodshop, so I need to keep the dust off somehow.

The main area of our walkout basement is mostly finished... one wall is still concrete, though. My plan in a year or two is to build a wall to wall bookshelf and TV stand across it. The wife is liking the idea a lot... though she doesn't know that I'm going to build it with space for one huge TV and two smaller ones.

Also going to make one part of it a fly tying bench, with doors top and bottom that slide into recesses on the side, like many entertainment centers do. Also going to custom build a section of it hold my fly and spinning rods.

Can't wait to build it!

So I'll just build something simple to get by until then.

Good topic!

Well, this is what I came up with. I shifted my drill press to the right of the picture, cleared some shelf space (which was most of the work!) and hinged this piece of countertop to a wall in my shop. It can fold down out of the way if I have a big project. Still more organizing to do on it, and to get that pegboard filled up!

The pegboard and shelves (one of which is on exact level with the bench) offer tons of storage, and the magnifying lamp was a lovely gift from my parents. You can see one support in the picture, and there's another block of wood by the shelves to ensure the whole thing doesn't come down on accident.

Two stools... one for me and one for whichever boy is helping at the moment. I'm keeping my eyes open to find for myself a height adjustable stool with a backrest.

It's worked really well. Nothing complicated, but very effective.

IPB Image

Madkasel: Looks great! It's so nice to have a dedicated space for your tying station -- I'm still trying to carve out a good spot at our house where everything can just stay put between tying sessions.

-- Bill

Thanks! You don't really need much space. Just a chunk of wall and a bit of storage! It's so great to have everything right there and be able to leave things out. I kinda like this smallish bench... anything too much larger and I'd fill it up with junk and hurt my productivity.

Finally getting faster at tying flies, too. Think the bench helped with that a lot.

The wall space is a rare commodity in my home office -- I'm going to have to get creative! I, too, have noticed that when I have my tying gear readily available, I tie more frequently and my pace increases,

-- Bill

I'm jealous, I have a 3 by 3 spot in the corner of our bedroom. A little bench with a light and plano storage containers.

Dave