Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishpj

Learning?

I am a flyfisher but I feel like I really want to learn more about the flies. I know the basics about mayflies, caddis, salmanflies, stoneflies, whatever, I know the different stages, and the simple stuff, but I want to learn more. What is the best way to do this? Would books help? I am only 14, so I plan to take a class on Entomology in college because I want to be a guide and become an accomplished fisherman, but what else can I do.

Do some reading and transfer that reading to your on stream time. A few books that will really give you some good informatino as well as pictures are Fishbugs by Ames and Mayflies by Fauceglia. If you have access to a local TU chapter or similar group then they usually have a stream survey day in th fall and the spring at which you could also see all the bugs and have some on stream work with someone who likely really knows what they are looking at!

As far as mayflies go I highly reccomend the book, "Hatches II" by Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi.

Gary Lafontaine has an excellent caddis fly book from what I've heard, don't have it yet though