Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy#1

Horse Hair

What patterns can you make with horse hair? I got some from the horse farm next door and thought that it might be tyable. Anything is appreciated!

I'll assume you're talking tail hair. Other boards where I've seen it discussed folks are using it for a quill like body and ribbing. Never tried it myself but it's what I've read.

Fatman

Good Day,

Fatman is on the ball.

I also use horse tail hair for tails on both dries and nymphs. I have also used it for legs on size 18 and smaller fishable realistic nymphs as it can be bent or very carefully heat kinked. It can also be used for antenae as well. A great all around material.

Steelie

Do you know where the hair is from? Actually, depending on the type of facility it came from, you could get the bridle path hair off the horses (but could be tail, etc). I actually use them for wings on salmon flies. My fiance' is a horsewoman, and all her friends are horse people as well. So I always ask for some of the bridle path clippings (or whatever they can get for me). Problem is, I can't get the hair I truly want (my fiance's appy gelding who is a true white horse). He has hair that looks like polar bear. But his hair grows SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow since he's an appy, she hasn't had to recut the bridle path in 5 years (ughhhhhhh). She keeps telling me I can have as much hair off him when he's dead. That doesn't help me now. (and think she'd kill me if ONE hair was missing).