Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ronn Lucas

Some of my first flies

I tied these flies at maybe eight years old in the mid fifties. I didn't have a vise so these were tied in hand and the thread was just some of mom's black sewing thread.

I have no idea what I was trying to do with the one with the tuft of material on the top. An emerger? I had no idea what one of those were. I didn't fish or even know anyone who did. I saw a lady, Audrey Joy who tied flies in a big dept. store and she gave me a few hooks, some fur and feathers and this was the result. Of course I had watched her for quite awhile so I had seen some of the patterns she tied for the store.

Happy Trails!

Ronn

:bugeyes: WOW, those are pretty cool looking. To be tied at 8 years old, and by hand, they look awesome. Thanks for sharing those with us, way too cool :headbang:

Ashby

This is a thrilling post Ron. Brought a big smile to my face! Honestly, nothing makes me happier than kids tying flies. I have a 5 year old daughter that ties and even has her own H & H rotary vise :rolleyes: Is there anything more heartening than a child taking their first steps on the life-long journey of a love for the outdoors and the sporting life? Its evident from your early flies that you were gifted even then - thanks for sharing these with us.

The week after next I am visiting a private school here on Cape Cod to give a fly tying demonstration to some 8th graders. Perhaps there is a budding tyer among them! Cheers, Alec

Thanks guys. How these ugly flies survived all these decades, I don't know but they are priceless to me now. That is why I always tell new tyers and especially young ones to put their first few flies away and forget about them. In later years, those beginning flies will bring back good memories and maybe a few laughs.

Looks like we all owe audrey joy a thank you!!!! I love looking at your flies !!!

Ron, your Re-entry fly is awesome; wonderful use of colors and truly creates the impression of it's name.

Also liked to see your early flies; I began at age 26 so am envious of your early start. I've got it bookmarked so I can bring it up now and again for inspiration on my humble ties. Thanks!

I thought all hooks in the 1950's were made of bone? :hyst:

Pretty cool Ronn, I've save a few of my early works they aren't nearly as cool as yours. :thumbsup:

Ronn,

If you work at it long enough and practice, maybe you could do something really novel..... maybe like using a bead in the body. Naaaahhhhh!!!! Not enough room on the hook! ;)

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

those are great.....priceless.....they put a huge smile on my face this morning....thanks for sharing

Sign in to follow this