Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
field989

have you heard of this place???

I would like to know if anyone has heard of this place or fished it , it is rough river canyon, kentucky, it is in hartford city park, I will be going here this summer to do some fly fishing and would like to know what kind of fish are here and what patterns will work.

also are there any other good places to fish that are close to here?

THANKS.

:( i live in Lexington and have never heard of it. The cumberland river is good for trout. The elkhorn near frankfort is good for small mouth. lots of good smallmouth streams in Ky. list of them on the state web page.

lots of luck, if i can help otherwise, jes holler as they say in these thar hills!!!

I've never heard of rougn river canyon either. I've heard of Rough River Lake. There's some nice Largemouth fishing there and some great Hybrid Striper fishing too.

And I'll second Cumberland River (below Lake Cumberland) for Trout and Striper (bring a 10wt for the Striper; they get BIG) and Elkhorn Creek for Smallies. If you fish Cumberland, remember to bring a 6wt, a sinking line of some sort, and some 2"-3" Streamers.

Cumberland's best fished from a boat though. A Canoe or Kayak will do nicely.

I caught this Brown at Cumberland this past January. Measured 25". One of God only knows how many fish over 20" that are caught each year. Everyone's after 20" Trout (even at Cumberland), but you've got to break 2 feet to seriously drop some jaws down there. Again, bring a boat and float it. You'll have much better luck that way.

IPB Image