Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Carne

Rogan's Fancy 1/0

Thought I was overdue an Irish fly - anyway here it is Rogan's Fancy - as usual from Malone.

Hope you like it

Dave

post-3384-1146565931_thumb.jpg

Dave,

You never cease to amaze and inspire me. As soon as I finish the nymphs I'm tying for a swap, I'll pull out my copy of Malone and get to work on something Irish.

John

Hi Dave,

Another stoater.

Beautifully tyed...

All the best Davie

:D I wonder if this is a Pattern of Rogan of Donegal. I remember visiting his shop in Donegal many years ago on one of my many trips to the ould sod. What was most notable, was that he and his family were tying all kinds and sizes of patterns as well as spey and salmon flies----but they did not tye using a vise other than their fingers. The only tools that I remember in use was a rather interesting (but ancient) type of bobbin and a pair of scissors. Their thumbs and subsequent fingers were quite callused and their work was beautiful---I still have the dozen assorted dries I purchased from him in a shadow box. :)

Neat story Doc! Be sure to attach it with the flies so the next owners will know it.

:D I wonder if this is a Pattern of Rogan of Donegal. I remember visiting his shop in Donegal many years ago on one of my many trips to the ould sod. What was most notable, was that he and his family were tying all kinds and sizes of patterns as well as spey and salmon flies----but they did not tye using a vise other than their fingers. The only tools that I remember in use was a rather interesting (but ancient) type of bobbin and a pair of scissors. Their thumbs and subsequent fingers were quite callused and their work was beautiful---I still have the dozen assorted dries I purchased from him in a shadow box. :)

Yes it's a Rogan pattern - though I believe it's a creation of the founder, Michael Rogan - he died in 1905... Nevertheless an illustrious familly establishment that's sadly no more - Mr Mc.P is yer man on these guys I believe.

Dave

Beautiful fly Dave, as for Doc's story, wow, I can't imagine tying up one of these by hand.

Ashby

Just great! And 1/0 to boot. I love the taper of the body, and I don't know how you tie that clean a wing that small.

Eric

Sign in to follow this