Fly Tying
welsh man

Saltwater Flies

Hi Everyone.

First post and TOTAL Beginner on the art of fly fishing and I think I might have joined the wrong site, I'm looking for info on UK Saltwater Flyfishing for speices such as ,Bass,Pollack.

Just bought a beginners fly tying outfit cost of £30,he tookmost of the freshwater tying materials out and put in twice as much as he took out with all flashy and sparkly bits and bobs, just checked the price tickets on the items he put in and it comes to £26.97 , think I had a BARGIN.

Do you know where I could find video clips of tying flies like on this site, but for saltwater fish not warm water fish like Tarpon, not many of them of the coast of South Wales UK.

The patterns I'm looking for are deciever, Clouser and SandEels like one's

Thanks all.

Welsh Man.

I beg to differ Welsh Man...you are in a great spot and welcome! There are numerous posts of each of those patterns as well as others that should suit your need quite nicely if you search the pattern database. We do have a couple other guys over in your area that do a good deal of saltwater fishing and should be ble to help out in more detail.

Yup me to, this is the spot when it comes to tying flies. Check the salt water area of this site, you will find all kinds of patterns, and info, also the species index. Sounds like you are dealing with a great place, good score on the tying kit!

Thanks Guys,

There seems to be quite a lot to learn about this flytying lark, not as easy as it looks.

Off down the local libary see what they have, then down the coast for a couple of hours practicing my casting.

Anyone on here from the UK or better still South WALES, nothing like face to face conversation on learning new tricks.

Must go now to catch low water.

TTFN Kev.

I have never bought or read a book on fly tying. Learned most of it here. Download Al's videos.

Also, welcom aboard mate. My dream vacation is to go to Ireland, Wales or Scotland and fish the salt. I also fish the salt near New York harbor - it's great.

I wonder if Lefty's Deceivers and Clouser Minnows will work in you area. Bet they do! They are the two best baitfish imitations as far as I'm concerned. They work on Striped Bass, Bluefish, and False albacore over here. I talked to a guy that caught a flounder on a Clouser.

Good luck

dc

Try www.branhamsaltwaterflytying.com. Lots of simple patterns with step by step instructions. I have only been tying for the last 8 months or so and this site gave me alot of simple patterns to start with. Good luck.