Fly Tying
welsh man

How do you Start

Hi All.

This could be up for the MUPPET QUESTION of the Month or even Year, but here goes...........

Been looking through the forum's on this site for a bit of info, well the main part of tying really, untill you can do this your knackered, what is it I hear you say?

How do you start the thread off on the hook, in the first place?? Do you Knot it on, Glue it on??

Every pic or video i've seen, has the thread allready wound on the hook, ready to start building up the Fly.

As you can tell, never tied a Fly in my life, would like to so please feel sorry for me, being so stupid but someone out there must be thinking the same.

Thanks Kev

Not a stupid question! :dunno:

Assuming you're a righty, the hook is clamped in the vise with the eye to your right.

Take the free end of the thread and hold in your left hand above and behind the hook shank, at about 20 degrees off the vertical to the left. The thread goes behind the hook shank. Hold the bobbin in your right, below and behind the hook shank.

Heeere we go...

Bring your right hand (holding the bobbin) forward and up, in front of the hook shank, and down on the far side of the hook shank trapping the free end of the thread you are still holding in your left hand. Wrap the thread 5 more times working rearward (towards the hook bend). Gently let the bobbin go (it spins, its annoying, but that's another topic...). Take your scissors in your right hand and snip the free end of the thread you are STILL HOLDING in your left.

You are now ready to "rock 'n' roll"

Proceed with the rest of the tie.

In general, you'll find wet flies and streamers tie on just forward of the hook bend. Dry flies near the head. Other tyers will tell you different.

Enjoy. You have begun the journey of hours of bliss and poverty buying materials. ;)

-E

"Pinned" to the top of this very Beginner's Corner forum is a thread with fly tying videos by Al Beatty... the first of which shows how to get the thread on the hook, among other things.

All of the videos are excellent, and will accelerate your learning curve a ton. Al's a darned fine instructor.

Happy to help. I just started tying a month or so back and well recall scouring the web for how to start the thread. Google doesn't turn this site up, unfortunately!

It's amazing how quickly you get neat and efficient at tying. I'm still pretty slow, but last night I wrapped up the night * by putting some lead and glue on hooks for my kids to tie wolly buggers today. It was amazing how much better the 3rd one looked than the first, and how much quicker I got it done.

* insert your own joke here about if I used half hitches or a whip finish

I would also recomend going over to the flyanglersonline.com website. On the left menu there is 'fly tying', and then click on 'beginning'. Has step by step pictures of everything including starting and whip finishing the thread. Each lesson intros one new technique. Take a look.

Thank's All.

I know where to come when I'm stuck again, which won't be long..

Tight line's everyone.

Kev AKA Welsh Man