Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adirondack

dubbing wax

Hey all, does it mater what kind of wax i use for dubbing? i figure its got to be unscented, but besides that will parafin or other types of wax work? thx!

I never really used wax until a few months ago. I've been tying since 93 and just now got into the wax, just always spun it. Anyway don't do like I did and get something that is too tacky. The stuff I got is pretty soft, I mean it sticks to your fingers and when you pull away it looks like the spider jumped out of the tube :hyst: other than that it's good. I think it's up to you and your style of tying.

Ashby

Historically, dubbing wax was made from bees wax. Paraffin is a little stiff and does not readily transfer to tying thread. Others used cobblers wax and or a combination of both.

The purpose of the wax is to assist materials in staying where you put them. When working with a dubbing loop - materials can be set in the loop and be expected to stay where you put them kinda. Also helps materials to twist evenly and not necessarily clump up.

Some waxes are tackier than others , so try them first. Stick your finger in it and rub them together.

William Blades suggests using dubbing wax as a conditioner for rough hands to keep from hooking the thread with callouses.

hope this gives some insight

later

Fred

thanks guys, i think i am gonna try some bees wax from a toilet seal. I saw a tip about that on a thread here, thanks for your help!

how much is bow string wax? i could get 2 uses out of it, my carp bow's string could use some wax and i could tie with it...nice!