Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafack01

What do you all think of Flourocarbon?

The post says it. What are your all's opinions? I'm really interested in wether or not you all think the visibility is as advertised. Can you really use 10 or 12 pound flourocarbon in place of, say, 4 pound if they're really line shy? I'm talking about streamers and such that you won't have any problem with action or getting the line through the eye.

I stopped using it because I found the knots tying to be more difficult (not all mono knots will work because they slip), it is expensive stuff and it did not really make any difference to my fishing success. Mind you, I usually fish for brook trout and they usually are not that picky. I will probably give it another go and if fishing still waters for browns or rainbows I would probably give it more consideration.

I use it for pretty much everything except dry fly fishing. I do not seem to have problems with knots an like the extra feel and no-stretch sets (on bass...)

I use fluorocarbon very often, and usually in two situations:

1. Saltwater, where abrasion resistance and strength are a primary concern. Being able to use a material that has a lower light refraction in the water is better for fishing the flats, and the thinner diameters that fluoros have for their breaking strength are great.

2. Freshwater, as shock tippet when pike fishing. I use 50 pound fluoro as a connection for the flies. It's abrasion resistant and very strong, and won't have the potential to spook other incidental species like wire can. It's also more supple than wire, and I use a non-slip mono loop that doesn't have any problems with slippage.

My only problem is memory. Stretch the crap out of it to straighten it and then straighten it some more. Tried some 4 lbs on a spinning reel once as a leader. I opened the bail and it literally jumped off the spool and half way across the lake. It was a small lake.

I use it all the time. Now their are times i probably could fish without i.e. fishing for less educated fish but most of the time it really improves my success.

All 5 species of salmon up here get hit pretty hard as do trout in some places by fisherman and the fish wise up to leaders fast and over the years flourocarbon has proven to me that it's visiblitly is much less than regular mono as i catch more spooky fish on it especially on calm sunny days.

Thing that I've found with flouro is....don't skimp. You can't go cheap with flouro, there is a huge difference between the good stuff and the lesser stuff. Also when tying knots be sure to wet your knot before clinching it down tight (this is very important). After using flouro for the past 4 steelhead/salmon seasons, I'm not so sure I'll ever go back to using mono. I highly recommend P-Line

P line cfx :thumbup: :thumbsup: :flex: :clapping: :yahoo: :headbang: Ive tried several other brands and the lnot strength blows !!!! cfx is the best in my Opinion. I have also head goosd things about seagar :dunno:

I like it. use it all the time. If you buy big spools and refill your tippet spools, its alot cheaper. I use 6lb and 8lb most. Seguar for me.

I do believe that fish can see it. just not nearly as much.

The 8 lb i use can take a helluva beating. I dont baby the fish i fight, big carp can handle alot of pressure. if you have the drag set right, you can give fish hell. I dont worry about breaking fish off much, and i think i lose less fish because of that.

I use a regular clinch knot and double surgeons knots all the time with it. it usually only breaks when i hook rock fish and tree bass.

floro sinks, so they say it is good for dries, because it breaks the surface and is less noticable.

some say it is stiffer, but i saw an article, maybe at fly fisherman's website, that confirms my thoughts, that the difference is so slight that it is a rediculous topic. If you ask me, fluoro has the advantage because it is thinner, wich keeps drag lower, which makes up for the minute stiffness difference. its all about presentation anyway isnt it?

it degrades slower in the environment, if that matters. I pick up more mono than the amount of floro I lose, so i think im ok...

I like the stuff alot, and will continue to use it.

Joe

Nice imput! I spend close to $20 for a spool of P-Line CFX, so I was kinda hoping that I didn't waste my money. At least I got about 300 yards of the stuff. I won't run out for a while! :yahoo:

There is kinda a love and hate relationship between me and flourocarbon. I like some of it for a number of reasons including it is less visible to the fish. I fish it all the time for erie steelhead. I also fish alot of nymphs and it sinks. The brands I like best are rio flouroflex(not flouroflex plus), frog hair and seaguar. I dont like the flouroflex plus because it is too supple and not as abrasion resistant as the original. Everything else I have tried isnt as good.

The things I hate about flouro is buying it and fishing dries. When it sinks it creates drag on your dries because the fastest moving part of the water is right on top and it is underneath.

tight Lines

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this