Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Bluedun

Steelhead Pattern Books

:D I am looking for some books that are dedicated to Steelhead patterns. Any help in this area would be appreciated---my son is now into steelhead fishing and I would like to tye some flyes for him. There are many pattern shown on this site---but few it any have tying instructions. :rolleyes:

Good Day,

I personally do not know of too many "steelhead pattern" books. Most patterns seem to be included in steelhead fly fishing tactic books. However, did find the following "pattern" book on Amazon. I do not own this books so can not speak for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/187817585...glance&n=283155

However, there are a great many steelhead tactic books that have great pics of successful patterns, but generally lack tying instructions. Due to your location, I might suggest matt Supinski's book Steelhead Dreams. It is based on Great Lakes Steelhead. But there are a great many more books on Amazon, for example, such as by Trey Combs.

Steelie

As much as I hate to say it, Steelhead Dreams by Matt Supinski has a lot of great patterns in it. It is also a good informational book. I cannot believe I'm saying this!

Doc,

Two Steelhead pattern books that I own and highly recommend are;

H. Kent Helvie's, "Steelhead Fly Tying Guide" and "Flies for Steelhead" by Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen.

Helvie's book has some wonderful step-by-step tying sequences for just about any 'style' of Steelhead pattern - and both books contain accurate recipes and great photos.

While the color plates (of the flies) are lacking IMO, I'd also suggest Trey Combs's book, "Steelhead Fly Fishing". Despite the small photos which don't do the patterns much justice, it contains come great insights and history of many Northwest flies and the anglers who designed them.

Hywel