Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adirondack

crawdad pattern

Does anyone have a good crawdad pattern? theres one in the step by step thread but i dont want to tie that bad boy for the first crawdad i do,its damn nice though! does anyone have a good pattern where i can learn to tie one? thanks for the help, i appreciate it!

Use either pieces of rabbit strip or hackles for claws, dumbell eyes tied just ahead of bend, on top of hook, then palmer rabbit strip up shank. Use two alternating colors for a variagated look. Not overly realistic, but a big, meaty look with good action, and it will ride hook up across the bottom.

I have two patterns of craw I tie, both are pretty simple. One is a super easy swiss straw body and the other is a simple overhand weave body. Go to the database and search under my name and "crawdad" and you will see them. Or just search under "crawdad" in tha database as there are others from other members as well.

Don't be intimidated by the tutorial. I just showed a buddy at work how to tie for the first time and that was his 3rd fly, or similar, I didn't have the exact materials. we substitued a conehead for a dumbell to get the diving action. Just a hint though... if you have some porcupine hair, they make awesome antennas.

I just looked, they are there.

Go to the database and click on it, then click "search" in the tool bar, then where it says "choose a tyer" click the drop down menu and scroll way down to my name and click it. Then click sumbit and there's about 15 or so patterns I have submitted that come up with two of them being craws.

you can also click on the icon below people's username, it is orange and it says "my fly patterns"

I have a real simple one in my patterns too. you can change the colors to whatever you wish. narmally, tan, browns, olives, and orange are good colors for crayfish patterns.

dumbell eyes are also a good choice, as it makes the hook ride point up, which does not snag bottom as much. and thats normally where you fish these types of patterns.

Joe

Check for some Craw patterns under Smalliehunters name as well. They're effective and fairly simple to tie. Hell, any idiot could tie 'em!

(just look at the designer) :hyst: :j_k: :hyst:

Fishytypeguy :D

For ease of tie, I'd defenitely go with wickedcarpenter's pattern...

IPB Image

Cast it right into the rocks and around stumps. If you lose one, you can quickly head back to the vice and spend a week or so tying up another!

Ummmmm. Not.

smalliehunter has the pattern I'm going to be trying for my first crayfish.

IPB Image

Just a few materials, and the rabbit fur will do a lot of the work for you on the retrieve.