Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Asheville, NC

Well, I may have convinced my wife to make a trip to Asheville for Easter. A few of my customers have told me about the French Broad River and some of the smaller feeders in the area, but it's been several years and my mind is like a sieve.

I wonder if I could milk any local info from our membership to maximize the potential of the trip. I'm somewhat concerned about run-off during that time of year.

Considering Easter is the 11th of April, are my concerns valid?

Any info on "must try" waters and patterns would be appreciated.

Target-Trout

You're a lucky man, Shoe. I have a house in Sapphire (about 20 away from the French Broad) and I'm going to be there the week after Easter. Asheville is about 50 miles away and the FB is about half way between. There is also the Davidson river near Brevard, which is rated one of the top 100 dryfly streams in the USA.

In the community where my house is there is the Horse Pasture River, which is only accessable to residents. The trout in the HP hardly ever see a fly. On my last visit I only had time for a few hours on the HP (we were moving in that week)and caught 4 Brookies to 8", bring that 2 wt. with you. I'll check with the local fly shops, but I think conditions will be good.

Let me know what your travel plans are and we'll work something out.

TB

I guess I AM lucky smile.gif

Must be my nice clean living. bs.gif

So far we're looking at leaving Thursday night or Good Friday at 0 dark 30. It looks to be an 11 hour drive towing the 5er and leaving Monday around 11am fo the return trip. I would like to keep my fishing somewhat near Asheville in order to maximize my fishing time. My wife enjoys sleeping in and that would give me until about noon to fish.

I know Jackster had mentioned some rivers that are C&R prior to the general opener and that's the time to hit them.

The Davidson River is nearest to Asheville. We could meet in Brevard and fish as long as your wife let's you. cool.gif

Troutbum and Shoe,

Shoe check your pm I sent you one.

Might be able to work a 1/2 day float for smallies?? or meetup to fish Davidson etal. I live in Spruce Pine and cloud make it.

Troutbum covered the available H2O pretty good. Could go to another that I know also.

Irish

Runoff should not be a problem as snow does not last that long here. The runoff would be from rain or snow that week.

Irish

bs.gif You Mountain Boys are starting to worry me.

Thanks for the email, suggestions and invites.

Just found out that my wife sent Sippy a link to Asheville. wink.gif

Hey Shoe! There is a ton of water to fish around these here parts! Let me know when you get the details locked in and It'd be an honor and I KNOW it would be a pleasure to finally wet a line with you.

Here's a couple good links to keep you in the know:

flyfishsouth.com

highcountryoutdoors.net

In fact, a few of us are heading out in the A.M. to float the Catawba for some monster browns. Temps should be around 60! Nya. na, na, na na naaa!!! tongue.gif

Ralph sounds like they got you covered bud,but i just wanted to mention if you dont already have it (probaly do) pick up a copy of 100 greatest trout streams of america and it has some good info about the davidson in it.

I fished that river about 2 years ago and it is really a nice little stream.

SD

P.S while your down there if you here drunk.gif serenade.gif RUN!!!

The honor would be mine, Jack

Hell, I haven't seen you since the Fly Show 2 years ago. This (fly) bug sure bit me in the last few years. bugeyes.gif I'm not totally C&R yet, but close. unsure.gif

Thanks, SD

I will have to pick that up. We've been traveling quite a bit and usually the destinations are near trout streams. Coincidence??? LOL

I can't help but notice you ain't too shabby at twisting up a fly now too. You just let me know when you're coming down, I'll hook you up with some fine fishing.

p.s. Looks like I'll be back in Vernor's-land for the rod show this year. Should be a good one at MCCC with a lot more vendors.

Just got my confirmation for the Asheville East KOA in Swannanoa.

Arriving April 9th, departing the 12th.

Come on Spring cool.gif

Shoe and others,

I look forward to the chance for a group fish over Easter.

Irish (Dave Duffy)

Hey Shoe,

I live about 45 minutes from Asheville and would love to meet up with you all in April. I could show you all some awesome streams right over the border in TN if you like.

Bobby

Sign in to follow this