Fly Tying
Redwings1

Ultra Craw

Been messing around at the desk tonight and tied up a few more of these Ultra Craws. I based it off the Orvis Gulley Craw but used a few different materials and hook. It is a 2/0 squared stinger hook with both large and medium nickel plated lead eyes. I used EP Sparkle Brush to add body shape and a little flash underwater, and all the other materials will lay back over the body in current and have lots of inherent movement when at rest. Due to the weight it will be a pattern that can be slowly fished on the bottom in lakes and in rivers, even with pretty good current.

IPB Image

IPB Image

No joke, that baby will sink like a rock! I have never tried two dumbell eyes, I will try it myself.

Yeah...this is not one you want to take in the back, but with that weight I figure it will allow for a really slow crawl/twitch presentation to drive the fish nuts :devil:

I've been trying to figure a way to get flies down into dense hydrilla and other weeds, and by George I think you may just have it. If one set of dumbell eyes is weedless enough then why wouldn't two tied in close together be, too?

Good looking fly!!

I do not see why this beast won't punch through the hydrilla TerryLee, especially if you were to add a hard mono weed guard :dunno:

Mike

That is one of THE BEST crayfish imitations I've seen to date. Outstanding!!! It sure would be nice if you wrote up a Step-by-Step on this one in Hatches. I'd love to add a half dozen of these to my bass box. I'm going to also add some of your "Crawtail" and "Tube Soft Craw" to round out my collection...

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Ray

Glad you like it Ray.

I will say that the only downfall of this pattern is that it takes a few extra minutes to tie and due to the weight it can be a pattern you will lose to the bottom if you are not careful. Other than that, alter the marabou to match the local colors and :devil:

Very cool. Not sure if I will tie it since I just know I will hit myself in the back of the head with that fly knockmyself out and be found lieing facefirst in the water dead.

Very cool. Not sure if I will tie it since I just know I will hit myself in the back of the head with that fly knockmyself out and be found lieing facefirst in the water dead.

LOL!