Fly Tying
Dr. Bluedun

Streamer patterns

<_< I tied a number of small Lil Brown, Lil Rainbow & Lil Brook trout streamers a couple of years back. My son just ran out and asked for some more. I cannot find the pattern in Fly Tyer, does anyone remember the article in American Angler. Probaly back around 2002 or 2003. Would appreciate info, if you can find it in your archives , and will refund your expenses for Xerox or an e-mailed scan. Thanks :unsure:

I'll dig through my stack of Fly Tyers, i know there is a pattern in one of them for a lil brown trout

Sam Slaymaker later said that the Little Brown Trout was the only one of his three 'Little Trout' patterns that had real validity relative to trout fry, and probably the only one worth tying.

Little Brown Trout (Slaymaker)

Hook - 4xl-6xl, sizes 4 to 12

Thread - White under body, black for head

Tail - Bronze/Brown Ringneck breast feather fibers

Body - White wool yarn (I lean toward cream - also, see note below)

Rib - Oval gold tinsel (copper wire can be used also)

Wing - Sparse yellow bucktail over which is sparse orange bucktail, over which is dyed brown squirrel tail

Throat - Orange hackle fibers

Note: The original pattern body has white wool interspersed sparingly with orange-pink dyed wool. From Slaymaker's "Tie A Fly, Catch A Trout". Not clear on how this was done, but he may have spun his own custom yarn to achieve this. I'd recommend using a wool yarn, wrapping the body and then lighty touch it in spots with orange and pink permanent markers. Then lightly go over it with a velcro dubbing brush to 'mix' it in.

Doc, I know the specific article with patterns that you are referrnig to as I have a dozen of each in my box. I briefly looked last night and could not find it though. I will get back in to it this weekend and see if I can't pull the article out for you.

Dr. Bluedun -

I think the fly patterns that you are asking about are in the Autum 2001 edition of Fly Tyer Magazine (page 45).

Here are the ingredients for each pattern

Little Brook Trout

Hook: 6X-long streamer hook, size 10 to 2

Thread: Black 6/0

Tail: Bright Green Bucktail and Red Floss

Body: Cream Dubbing

Rib: Narrow flat silver tinsel

Throat: Orange Bucktail

Wing White bucktail, Orange bucktail, bright green bucktail, and barred badger (You may substitube with brown or gray squirrel tail hair.) The colors are listed in the order they are tied in.

Cheeks: Jungle Cock (Optional)

Little Rainbow Trout

Tail: Bright Green Bucktail

Body: Pinkish-White Dubbing

Rib: Narrow flat silver tinsel

Throat: Pink Bucktail

Wing White bucktail, pink bucktail, bright green bucktail, and badger hair (You may substitube with brown or gray squirrel tail hair.) The colors are listed in the order they are tied in.

Little Brown Trout

Tail: Small breast feather from a ring-neck pheasant. (Remove the dark center portion of the feather.)

Body: White Dubbing

Rib: Copper wire or narrow flat gold tinsel

Throat: None

Wing Yellow bucktail, orange bucktail, medium dark squirrel tail hair, and dark brown squirrel tail hair (The colors are listed in the order they are tied in).

You may also be interested in the following web article by Bob Petti (these look like outstanding streamer patterns):

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/simple_streamers/

Enjoy.

- Ray

<°)))><