Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

Another Crawdad

I have deen tying these for a yaer or so it like the one will posted a while back with the bunny strips but I thought of something diff. I put a small loop of craft foam inbetween the pinchers to seperate them. I noticed in the past the pinchers wanted to kinda lay together instead of at that craw readyt o pinch the crap outta ya pose. I thought this may hlep and it may make the rear of the fly raise up to look more like a craw in the water. It is made with ginger and white vara. cheniele and nat. hackle, a 1/20 oz eye and rusty brown bunny strip the case on the top over the hackle is that 1/4" scud back. Well thought I would run this by the experts to see what ya thought.

STU

post-472-1147987050_thumb.jpg

post-472-1147987168_thumb.jpg

Flymaster - Nice Fly. It looks like the bass will love it. I really like your method of keeping the claws separated. I'm going to have to give that a try myself.

Nice lookin crawl, I'm sure that will catch fish!

One idea. I personally dont believe that pincers need to be seperated because when a crawdad moves through the water it folds them straight out in front of them. Most of the time a crayfish will flee if it sees a predator and they rarely, if ever, stand in a defensive position. My .02 :D

Yep that is a good thought Smallie. I fish them really slow and on the bottom, I want it to look like a craw just out for a moring walk I guess. I hardly ever fish them in the current. I fish the back waters around rock piles and in eddies and things like that. But your comment is a worthy thought though.

STU