Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

Night fishing to trout

I am wondering what kinda water is the best, what kinda flies to fish, and hwo light shy are these guys. I have soem holes picked out that are easy wading and hold some really nice fish that I can see during the day but can't get hooked. I think the cover of dark may be the ticket. But new at it any help with patterns or tech. would be helpful. I have heard mice and streamer patterns. But fish it fast of slow? Around cover or in the open water, are the fish hugging the cover or cruzing looking for a "big" meal? I think that the darkness may bring them out some. Thanks

STU

In my limited experiance at night fishing, I have found that dark nights are best. If you use a light make sure it doesn't shine or reflect on the water. I have fished Sulphures and Green Drake spinners (Coffin Flies) during these hatches with good results. Use flies a little larger than usual that make a good sillhouette. Most of all know where you are wading and keep your casts as short as poss. Experience will be your best teacher.

Flyweaver

PS, Oh yeah watch out for bats taking your fly on the cast.

I too have been experimenting with night fishing. I have noticed the fish (trout) do not bite when I have the headlight on. I use a large weighted streamer that I can feel a definate tug on the back cast. I like to quarter it down stream and let it drift to down behind me. Let it sit there for a moment and then slowly retreive it in. A very slow strip. I was afraid of not being able to feel the bites, but when they hit they usually slam it pretty hard. I am catching alot of larger fish while fishing at night and with the summer months coming, I think that is probably the only way I will go from now on. Less crowds and sunburn.

Duckydoty

I have found the best time to fish at night is when there is a full moon, or close to full. Reason is, when you have that little bit of light, and you are fishing the mouse, or frog on the top, the motion is magnified and attracts the fish. I have always had luck doing it that way, and have caught my biggest browns and bows that way.

Ashby

My suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the water during the day...wade it and make sure you will have no surprises when it gets dark. The fish will sometimes move into the soft water very close to shore particularly when there are spinners on the water. My favorite night fly is a good sized cream or sulpher colored parachute dun with glo in the dark wing material as the wing post.

When the little glowing light goes out....set the hook! You occasionally have to recharge the phosphorescent wing material with your flex light....the other alternative is to use a tiny lttle piece of Orvis Glo in the Dark strike putty about a foot above the fly.

You can get real close to the fish....

Hot Tuna

I can second Hot Tuna's advise...know the water! That is probably the most important factor in night fishing. Other than that...everything is bigger, the flies and the fish :headbang:

Hot Tuna, that's an awesome idea with the glow in the dark post. I'm going to have to try that one.

Ashby

Been thinking of trying my hand at nightfishing for trout. I have been reading browns are more active at night ( would think they are all more active really).

How are nymphs at night? I saw a dry listed there for when a hatch is going on, but what if its a slow night for hatches...thanks-jason