Fly Tying
Jeff Kimball

I need wedding flies

Hey All,

Well it's getting down to the last two months of my bachelor life and I'm getting a terrible headache. Hold, it actually its not a headache, its my fiancé pestering me about the "party favours" we'll need for the reception. :P

The reception is going to be at a magnificent fishing lodge on an even greater lake and we've kept the lake/nature/relaxed theme theme throughout the rest of our stuff.. my plan is to tie up, mount and frame a pile of flies to be given away as "favours".

I haven't picked a fly yet and I wondered what about a fly with "wedding" or "love" or "bride" or something right in its name.. then the inscription below the mounted fly could be used along with our names and date to make a full, wedding specific, package.

I have been looking but have come-up short. Can any of you think of a relevant fly that would look good mounted and framed (ie: probably not a dry)

Thanks,

~Jeff

PS: If you find yourself on Grand Lake between Maine and New Brunswick on July the 29th keep an eye out for the over-dressed couple in a canoe! :lol:

It's funny I noticed quite a few flies along those lines...

Had I gotten engaged to an old girlfirend of mine the "Montreal Whore" classic streamer would have maybe come to mind :j_k:

In an attempt to be a bit more helpful than my tongue in cheek response...the pattern name you pick may not match, but you do not necessarily have to rule out dry flies. What about doing a spent wing spinner pattern of some sort. That would allow you the 'classic dry fly' that is so commonly associated with fly fishing, but you could get away with a single matte if you cut the hook at the bend and frame as if looking from above the fly :dunno:

If you do that instead of worrying as much about the bug name you could pick one that is hatching during the time you met, or got engaged, or are getting married...

Well well well, so I"m not the only sorry sap struggling through the wedding process. Glad to see I'm not alone in this. My fiance had picked a Dragon Fly theme for the wedding long ago. Well when I showed her one of Graham's realistic Dragon flies she thought that those would make great favors. So she wanted to know what would be needed material wise for me in order to tie up about 200 of those for party favors.... you can only imagine the look that I gave her when she asked this. I said...you're kidding right? Nope, she wasn't. I said do you know how long it will take to tie just one of those....oh yeah you're forgetting something as well...I'm not that talented (apparently to a woman a realistic dragon fly isn't much different than the black wooly-buggers and eggs she normally sees me tie). So after a minor scuffle I finally was able to convince her that a realistic dragon fly wasn't such a great idea. We've opted for burning CD's for everyone. We bought a 100 pack on sale the other day for $15 got a label maker and some printable envelopes. Basically we'll be getting out of the whole favor thing for around $70. Not too shabby in my opinion.

Well guys,,,

I am tying the knot June 3rd. at least im not the only one...

for our favors, we found some chocolate molds, in the shape of fish, and she just got done molding 300+ of these fish. We are giving a box of three to each guest. I didnt have to do a thing!

Maybe you should just tie flies for the wedding party.

Joe

streamertyer: that pair is definately a good idea...

Sage8wt: I gave my fiance the same look when she initially pointed out some traditional atlantic salmon full dressers... man.. I'd be tying for the next year and the budget would quadruple in supplies! What are you burning on the cds? music? pics? a website?

First of all guys life is over as you know it. Just kidding congratulations.

Chocolate fish, most men like fishing and most woman like chocolate. Plus you did not have to do a thing, scores= Stanley Cup!!!

Jeff I dont know how many framed sets you plan on making, but here is an idea. What about a couple simple hairwing salmon flies. Create your own patterns with the colours you each like. A trophy type shop can make you small brass plates with the name of the fly and or pattern. It would probally not cost too much, and add class to the framed flies.

Man you guys are making me feel OLD!!!!!! I'll be married 25 years in September and you guys are just starting out. A little piece of advice RUN NOW . :hyst: :hyst:

:j_k: but you'll see down the road :hyst:

Good luck guys!!!!!

Fatman

I would suggest something with a married wing. Also, be careful wading with that ball and chain, it can be dangerous. Ok, enough crap, I have two kids but I am not married I would not say it is any more liberating than marriage.

Pairs of flies are a nice idea like the Dark Spruce & Light Spruce which are good looking flies that are not too diffcult to tie. The Royal Coachman is a sort of wedding fly - you could tie another with a different coloured centre band.

Sage8wt: I gave my fiance the same look when she initially pointed out some traditional atlantic salmon full dressers... man.. I'd be tying for the next year and the budget would quadruple in supplies! What are you burning on the cds? music? pics? a website?

A selection of songs will be burned onto the CD's.... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I don't really care...the way I see it, people come to weddings to drink and hook up with ugly desperate cousins (not cousins of their own unless they are in to that kind of thing)anyways, not for the party favors

If you got pressed for time, I'm sure you could get the wetfly master Don Bastian to tie them for you for a nice price. They'd certainly be perfect to frame.