Fly Tying
Jeff Kimball

I need wedding flies

Hi All:

My first post.. Great forum!

My sister is getting married soon, and I was thinking of a doing a carrie stevens' type streamer,

using the colors of the gowns and flowers in the wedding.

A fly tied in a salmon type dressing (if you do that kind of tying) might be nice, too.

I'd be afraid matching dark and light fly's (although a great idea) might be lost on most of the guests.. IMO.

Something to think about, for your application. Imagine the ooooh's and aaaaaah's: "it's the same color

as the dresses!" "isn't he THOUGHTFUL?!" (it's all in racking up the points!)

Good luck!

streamertyer: that pair is definately a good idea...

Sage8wt: I gave my fiance the same look when she initially pointed out some traditional atlantic salmon full dressers... man.. I'd be tying for the next year and the budget would quadruple in supplies! What are you burning on the cds? music? pics? a website?

A selection of songs will be burned onto the CD's.... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I don't really care...the way I see it, people come to weddings to drink and hook up with ugly desperate cousins (not cousins of their own unless they are in to that kind of thing)anyways, not for the party favors

My goal is to "steel" the groom!!! You just let alisha know she is NO competition to me!!!! All I have to do is show up and shake my rod and you are mine!!!! (fishing rod gutter heads!!!!) Oh and Id like the new trace adkins cd thanks :hyst:

you guys are something else!

I think richla's got the right idea... I think I'll come up with a hairwing salmon fly in the bride/bridesmaid colours. That was my original plan but I always feel a little pretentious messing aroudn with salmon flies (that stuff's serious business in this neck of the woods). I figured if I tried hard enough there'd have to be a fly with "wedding" or "love" or something in it's name.. guess not.

I'm sure that speaks to the nature of fly fishers as a whole.. but I can't figure out how exactly.. maybe sage8wt, day5 and some of the other "FTF locals" will make it clear later on :blink: :P

Gee you could have at least photo shopped my fac............ ahh never mind bad idea!!! and I have a better rack!!!!

Here is a thought for you, you could do 3 different stages like a nymph, emerger, and adult. This could imitate the process, for lack of better words, of you both growing up or becoming adults. Something just for the wedding party would be great. Then you are only tying 3 flies up per person.

Man I am going to do that for my groomsmen for the wedding party gifts! Thanks for the idea!!

Hope this idea works for you!

Jay

I'm actually getting married myself this July 9th. And before anyone says again "run now". This is my second time around at the show. So I am a bit more prepared this time. I think. LOL.

Actually, if you're looking for a present to remember. I'd go with a married wing salmon fly (not necessarily a fully dressed fly with multiple wings). Doesn't need to be overly fancy. I agree, go with the wedding colors. I'm actually doing the same thing. I'm taking wedding colors, and mapping out the fly (I've found it's always best to lay out the fly on paper before you try building it, built wing salmon flies that is). Then, give it your brides name (or her nickname, etc). It'll mean alot more to her. If you aren't up for the married, then definitely go with the hairwing.

I'm going to be doing brooch pins for my groomsman, and then of course one for my bride (then of course the fly that'll be mounted in a frame).

Jeff,

My cousin got married a few years ago and her husband framed flies for all the male guests at the reception and the women got framed pressed flowers. I was not into fly fishing or tying at the time and didn't pay much attention to the fly. I pulled it out of a drawer a few weeks ago and it is lying on my tying bench. I am not sure what the name is of the fly but if you want me to take a pict of it an send it to you let me know.

Now that I know a little, and I use that term very loosely, about fly tying, I do not think this fly would be too hard to make in large numbers.

I am pretty sure you so not want a pattern that will take you 20 minutes to tie per fly.

Ahhhh ..... the memories ...... reception party favours ..... I went with little trees. Had to put each one in a burlap sack and tie it with ribbon. And I though I had it hard....

sage8wt Realistic Dragon Flies! No that is hilarious. :hyst: :hyst: Glad yo dodged that bullet buddy!

Jeff, let me know,

Tim

Slacker, If it's not too much trouble I'd definately like to take a peek at how your cousin did his flies.

In other news, I just got back from the framing place and they though my need for alot of 4"x4" frames might be just the ticket for them to get rid of a pile of scraps. So if I've got a whole bunch of different frames and mats (all the same size of-course) then maybe I'll do a whole bunch of different flies to go in them. Then the consistent part can be the text on the backer board. God knows saving money around this project is going to be a real help.

~Jk

Jeff,

Here is the pict. As you can see it is pressed in between the mat and the glass. It looks quite nice. Not sure if it is the look/idea that you are going for. I do not know what it is called or if there was even a theme. My cousin is an avid flyfisherman and I think he thought this would be a thoughful gift.

Pretty sure it was as I still have it. Only other wedding/reception gift I have in my possesion is a tree growing in my backyard.

All I know is that most of the people who were in attendance were not fly fishermen and everyone was most impressed.

Let me know what you think.

Tim

post-4561-1148604089_thumb.jpg

I was married for 5 months short of 30 years.. now i am free again!! And for some reason can't ever see it happening again! But with the right woman it can be a lot of good times! Best wishes to all you guys that are going to "get er done"

Hey Slacker,

thanks for the pic. That's pretty well what I'm doing but with a matte and some kind of text printed below the fly like

Jeff & Julie

hooked

July 29, 2006

Man I'm cheezy sometimes!

I am not sure what the name is of the fly

Oh, and that's an elk-hair caddis with a tail, or maybe just smashed hackle because of the glass that looks like a tail.

Cheers,

~Jeff