Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Really vague, but help?

Stopped at the local lake today and found swarms of a small bug swimming in the water. Very tiny, maybe 1/16 inch long, looked like tiny eyes and a tail. Brownish in color. Swarms were 15 feet or longer by 5 feet or better wide actively swimming. Near the surface under clouds, but when the sun came out they seemed to disapear down. This is a fairly shallow, warmwater lake in central Minnesota.

Just wondering what they are becomming and what I should be watching for.

If I've got enough information, thanks for the help. If not, sorry.

Thanks.

Deeky

Stopped at the local lake today and found swarms of a small bug swimming in the water. Very tiny, maybe 1/16 inch long, looked like tiny eyes and a tail. Brownish in color. Swarms were 15 feet or longer by 5 feet or better wide actively swimming. Near the surface under clouds, but when the sun came out they seemed to disapear down. This is a fairly shallow, warmwater lake in central Minnesota.

Just wondering what they are becomming and what I should be watching for.

If I've got enough information, thanks for the help. If not, sorry.

Thanks.

Deeky

Deeky-

Probably Daphnia, also (somewhat inapproprately) called water fleas, as they are actually a freshwater crustacean, as are scuds and aquatic sowbugs. Assuming they're Daphnia, that's about as big as they are going to get. There's actually a pattern called a Daphnia Cluster Fly, that is intended to imitate a bunch of them, and according to its developer, Larry Tullis, when fish are feeding heavily on Daphnia, it's extremely effective.