Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaUP

nymph pics

im not sure what these are

DaUP_2 I got them out of a pond that i get minnows for my bait shop out of they the big one was in the minnow trap the others were floating in the water

DaUP-

Okay, let's see if you can identify them to family. I'll tell you that they belong to Order (Odonata), and give you a link to a book chapter on identifying Odonata. Let's see if you can identify them to family, as you'll learn a lot more by trying than if someone just tells you what they are.

ok the big one from what i can tell is a Darner Dragonfly :dunno:

and i think the other one is a narrow winged damselfly (ishnura ramburri)

The larger nymph appears to be an Aeshna sp., but there's much to little resolution to even guess on a species. The slender damselfly nymphs are in the family Coenagrionidae, probably Ischnura or Enallagma, but again much too little detail to tell precisely.

Cheers, Ethan

ok the big one from what i can tell is a Darner Dragonfly :dunno:

and i think the other one is a narrow winged damselfly (ishnura ramburri)

The larger nymph appears to be an Aeshna sp., but there's much to little resolution to even guess on a species. The slender damselfly nymphs are in the family Coenagrionidae, probably Ischnura or Enallagma, but again much too little detail to tell precisely.

Cheers, Ethan

DaUP-

Way to go! Looks like you nailed both families. Now, if you haven't already done so, you might want to go here and download the rest of the chapters. That way, you'll be able to identify the rest of the aquatic insect orders to family, which not too many fly fishers are able to do.

Ethan-

As always, thanks for your expert identifications. Hope folks understand the level of knowledge you bring to this forum. It just keeps gettting better!