Fly Tying

I have never really found the need to use leach fly be cause Most of the leaches I use are plastic and I already have many dif colors and sizes of Berkely leaches for bass but I caught a cat fish last week on a large nymph pattern its stomach was full of leaches about size 14-12 and I don't have any leaches that size and I think It would be another fly to try. I want durable flies. That being said lets see all the patterns.

I don't have a specific leech pattern but FWIW-my go-to fly that almost always catches fish is a small (12-14) Wooly bugger variation. Peacock herl body, very long sparse marabou tail usually normal palmered hackle but sometimes I just put a soft hackle collar at the head.. I don't know or care if the fish think it is a leech, a damselfly nymph or just something alive-it swims through the water and EVERYTHING bites it.

I have two personal favorites I always rely upon. The green wooly bugger with a brass bead head, and second a dark purple/maroon leech (small) tied with just seal fur spun sparsley with a black underbody.

I seem to always catch fish on these two patterns.

I have been tying and using the ones like Will shows in Hatches. I have been beating the snot out of the bass on this fly. :headbang: I can't wait to try it on trout.

I have been tying and using the ones like Will shows in Hatches. I have been beating the snot out of the bass on this fly. :headbang: I can't wait to try it on trout.

In that color or another, SwampHunter? I haven't had much luck so far with it and I wonder if another color might be the answer.

Thanks,

Terry

I like the Denny Richerds Seal bugger pattern in burgandy/wine/black color.

I've caught more fish on that fly...

In that color or another, SwampHunter? I haven't had much luck so far with it and I wonder if another color might be the answer.

Thanks,

Terry

I have been using brown. It's the only color I have tried as of yet. I haven't had a spell to where I think I need to change it yet. :D

Thanks. I just bought a brown rabbit skin this weekend, so I'll give 'em a try.

Terry

#6 or #8 black beadheaded woolly bugger maybe with a couple of strands of flashabou. All you'll ever need. Of course I stock my box with a million different leach patterns but, especially since the majority of the team I use leaches as a searching pattern I have never found I need anything other than a black bugger, and the bead head gives it a pretty tasty looking action.