Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BoubouBomber

Waterproofing furled leaders

Hi, quick question, how do people waterproof furled leaders made of Uni Thread???

Anyone tried them also with 2lbs fishing line?? That was pretty hard to find actually, the smallest I can find ismore like 6 lbs line. Thanx

Boubou

The mono actually comes down to 1 lbs. test, but it is hard to find right now. I know around here, the reason is that the 1 and 2 lbs. line is generally only used for ice fishing and only comes on pony spools (100 yds. or so). Stop in at a smaller bait shop (not a big box), and ask, they might have some packed away in back until the lakes freeze up again. I did check and the shop here could actually order bulk spools of 2 lbs. mono, but it was thousands of yards and $35, way more than I needed. It's out there, might just take a little more digging right now.

BoubouBomber,

I prefer Red Mucelin on my thread furled leaders.

Cheers,

Hans W

I to prefer the Mucilin

Yupp-Red can Mucelin is best. Anything else can damaged the thread due to the silicone properties and addatives, so only use red can mucelin on thread furled.

I make a lot of furled leaders with 2lb mono. No problem using it at all - it just takes a gentle hand doing the initial winding of the legs. I get the 2lb in 110ft spools - 1 spool will make 3 leaders. I find the small spools are very easy to handle when laying out the legs on the jig.

MMHHH! found a place that I can drive to that have red mucelin, but think i will order, saves me the traffic and crossing 2 bridges. Made my first furled leaders today, one with uni thread and one with 2lbs fluoro mono, They look great and pretty easy to make, totally limp, no curl at all to them, Love them

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this