Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moxie

First Trip To The Salts!

This July I will be taking a vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Since the house I'll be in is right on the beach, I thought I would bring along a fly rod and try my luck. But I dont know too much information about the area. I mean I've read about it online yeah, but I want a perspective to someone who has fished there.

I was wondering what types of species Id be able to catch, some good patterns to tie up (maybe links to how to tie them, materials, presentation techniques, etc.) and just all around clues.

One more thing, I know after fishing the salt I must clean my gear, just wondering how I should go about that. Just rinse everything off with a hose with fresh water or what?

If you fish in saltwater you will need to wash and rinse your gear in very warm water to break down the salt and get it off your rod, reel and fly line. I go to the extent of taking my fly line off the reel and soaking it in very warm water while I rinse my rod, reel and flies. Then I pass the line through a soft towel while putting the line back onto the reel. I pretty much fish salt exclusively and have found that this has added life to my equipment.

You may want to try www.outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com for more saltewater info.

I used to guide in NC, so I can tell you from first hand experience how incredible the fishing in NC can be. By the time you'll be down there, the Tarpon will be in the Pamlico Sound and can be caught on flies, but I'd suggest getting a guide to show you the ropes for that. Are you taking any kind of boat with you? That would open up many more opportunities for fishin if you do. If you can only fish from the beach, try fishin in the surf at low tide and use small clousers and crab flies just beyond the shore waves for Pompano, in my opinion, the best eating fish you can obtain. All you need is some butter, lemon juice, and a dash of Old Bay seasoning, wrap it loosly in foil and bake it. It will melt in your mouth! Also, get up at sunrise and try to intercept some Spannish Mackeral the run along the beaches, another tasty fish and a heck of a lot of fun on the old flyrod. If you like to wade, fish the Sound side for tailing Red Drum and Speckled trout in the shallows. Find some grass or an oyster bed and you're in good. If you come across a protected bay with a cut to let the water in/out during tide changes, the fish will stack up there in anticipation of food being flushed in and out. On outgoing tides, they will be on the outside of the little bay. Incoming, they will on the inside, waiting at the edges of the current, darting in to get baitfish and shrimp that are washed by, just like trout and smallmouth that sit in current seams in the rivers and streams. They conserve energy by staying in the slack water but have a good view of the main flow and dart out to grab food.

Gummie minnows, Ultra Shrimp, Half and Halfs, Clousers, and poppers all work well. Try a red and black clouser.....oops, did I say that????

Let me know if I can be of further help...

Thanks for all the information travbass2! Just what I was lookin for. And no sadly I dont think Im quite ready for a tarpon yet and Im not taking a boat either sadly, but maybe I could rent one. But I will be out at low tide thats for sure!

I've heard of all those flies except that Half and Half, what is that?

moxie,

be prepared for wind and waves...even in the inlets...it's quite different from fresh water fly fishing in those two aspects...

there are a few must haves,,,such as a stripping basket and pliers, not a forceps but something that wil hold a hook to a fish weighing about 5 pounds (good average siz fish)

8 wt to 10 wts are the norm

two lines...one an intermediate and the other in the 350 grain sinking variety

leaders about 6'-7' made from two pieces ...a 3 ' section of 40# (butt) double surgeoned to a 3' length of about 17 - 20#

these are suggestive, but very usefull ideas that have worked for me from jersey to maine, the keys, baja and south africa...

put the fly in front of fish and make it move like a food form and you will catch fish

flies stay away from flies that are too soft and prone to wing foul like maribou, etc...you'll have less headaches

you're lucky to have travelbass2 for the info...lsiten to him...

a half and half is a combined lefty's deciever and cluser deep minnow

the back half is a deceiver with the eyes and bucktail of a clouser...it's a big profile fly

have fun