Fly Tying
letumgo

How can you tell when you have enough fly tying materials?

I have pretty well all I will ever need for any pattern I know of that I wish to tie. If a new pattern comes out, I buy in small quantities and see how the fly works out. If I am happy with it than I go out and buy enough to tie about 50 or so of them up (no I don't tie 50 up at once, maybe a doz if I get carried away).

I know I had enough when I started guessing at a dollar amount of what I own, I stopped somewhere around 2k (got tired of counting).

When Tom Whiting asks you to marry him.

:hyst:

:blink: :hyst:

When you've bought everything useful, some stuff you'll never use and then started dying your own cos you can't get what you want from retailers. :D Sorry, what was the question again?

I haven't been at this very long so don't take this for the gospel, but I don't think you can ever tell. If any of you ever really finds the answer to this, let me know, ok?

Terry

And all this time I thought I was the only one who suffered from acute feather addiction - sounds like any one of us could replace Col. Sanders as the Antichrist of the chicken world.

When you can no longer get in your tying room/area and have to build on. Just to open up the new packages.

Huh????? I do not get the premise of the question????? you mean like when will I not need more?? I guess when I die!!

I feel much better now. I was beginning to worry I had crossed some line when:

1) Both of the local fly tying shop owners started greeting me by name each time i came into their stores.

2) I started to get as many plastic storage containers as my wife has for her sewing supplies.

3) I started to ask my wife to pick me up stuff everytime she went to JoAnn Fabrics, Walmart, or Michael's

Thanks for the LAUGHS, guys. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

This was exactly the type of answers I was hoping to get.

Ray (letumgo)

Thats really a funny question....

I have 2 antelope hides in the locker and an elk hide on the drying rack. 3 shoe boxes of hooks and 4 lg plastic tubs in the shop. Discussing materails in my home office and my fly tying table in the living room are off limits.

My new excuse is Avarian Flu! Better to buy capes now in case they are in short supply later. Sadly that may end up being the case.

I knew I was getting close when the owner of the local Orvis shop and his wife came over for dinner. I showed him my tying space and he said: "Not only do you have more tying stuff than I carry in my shop, you have more tying stuff than I have ever purchased for my shop in the seven years I've owned it!"

Since then, I've added a lot more and have a couple of orders coming in the mail. As I go to new places or fish for new species, there always seems to be new materials or new hook styles or sizes that I need to add. This month, it's big baitfish patterns for next month's trip for Arctic Char and Lake Trout in far northern Canada.

You know your a sick puppy, when you offer to buy the remaining stock of a fly tying supply that is going out of business for your personal stash

:dunno: :huh:

Its especially bad when you start with a little corner of your parents basement and start to take over your fathers workshop. That was after I moved it to the basement because there was no more room in my room.