Fly Tying
letumgo

How can you tell when you have enough fly tying materials?

Enough is when you pick up the fly tying books and the magazines and you already have the materials. Since this will never happen it shows you that you can never have enough materials.

Funny stuff!!

I'm with you Gregg A.

I'm so tired of marketing bs I let all my subscriptions run out. I learned a lot more when I was younger and learned by trial and error, and testing ideas.

I think you know you have enough materials when you know which materials cause your allergies to act up.

When you have more pairs of scissors than your wife or girlfriend has shoes.

When you have to be a ninja to sneak material into the house.

You have enough dubbing to make a large, comfortable pillow.

When it takes more time to prepare feathers and furs than dinner.

When you have a nickname given to you by the local flyshop employees.

Chip

Is that nickname "Cha-ching?" :D

too much is when you keep buying the same thing over and over again because you can't find it underneath all of the other stuff you have

My problem exactly.

I always look at the grizzly hackle, deer and elk hair. If I think it is exceptional I will buy it and find that I have some just as good at home. when will I ever learn?

... when the local fly shop owner asks YOU if he can buy the material from you for a customer.

I was scared to post this, so I'm not the only one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I raise some of my own birds and go to bird shows. Some great capes are found there just don't tell them what you are doing to the bird :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

My wife does not know it but we have 60 plymouth Rock chicks coming next week.

More More tying materials, yes please sir!!!

Blessings,

Jeremy

I'm not a shrink but one of my fishing buddies is. He also has OCD. That's his diagnosis not mine. I'm a chemist and deal with easier disorders except my own OCD.

I have more fishing tackle and tying material than I can keep track of and I am always buying more. I keep trying to follow Thoreau and Einstein's advice and simplify, simply, simplify. In reality I do have a few favorite fly patterns and if they don't work I usually give up fishing and head for the fly shop to get more stuff. This is from a guy that does not have the, “shopping gene.” I can't explain it.

adkron

I have two trunks one is a thirty gallon Rubbermaid the other a forty five gallon in the workshop storage area. They are stuffed full. I have a desk and storage containers inside where I tie. I have entire geese, otters, coyotes, rabbits, opossum, hares. birds, birds, birds, I have picked roadkill, traded flies to hunter friends, hunted myself , Ebayed, traded here, ......... I have an addiction. I tried meetings, like TU, FFF and others they only feed the disease.

Please help me

When you pass a dead animal on the highway & you don't think about stopping to snip some of its belly fur.

its more like when you pass a dead animal on the road and think if I didn't already have three of tem at home I would of picked that up

I never seem to have enough materials, but I don't think it's a problem! :rolleyes: My wife says I'm addicted! <_<

You think a couple of full Rubbermaid containers is bad, I have 20 of them, the big ones, all full. Two of the three freezers I have are full of materials, and a refrigerator in the basement too. All 3 freezers were full but the wife made me clean one of them out!

I have several dozen smaller plastic storage containers, all full of materials.

It's not a problem I tell you! :unsure:

I also make lures! I have one of those big electric molding pots that holds 20 lbs of lead and 4 smaller ones. I know I have over 200 molds for molding lead jigs, sinkers, spinnerbaits & many other types of lures!

I probably have well over 100,000 hooks, and keep buying more! Darned Ebay!

I have enough tackle to fill a tackle shop too! There are over twenty large tackle boxes or bags, and don't know how many of the smaller Plano types I have. You name it, I probably have it. Last time I counted I have 18 baitcasting rods, 20 spinning rods, 6 trolling rods, and 7 fly rods. All of them have reels too!

I've got several spare fly reels. B) I don't know how many thousand flies I have! :dunno:

Ever see one of those big tackle boxes they store Musky lures in, the kind that will hold 100 lures, I have a full one and a smaller one that is full!

I do not have a problem! :blink:

My wife has the problem! One of these days I'll die & she will have to get rid of all my stuff. My only worry is that she'll sell it for less than I told her I paid for it! :wallbash:

When you pass a dead animal on the highway & you don't think about stopping to snip some of its belly fur.

its more like when you pass a dead animal on the road and think if I didn't already have three of tem at home I would of picked that up

:hyst:

I don`t know what you mean, the word "enough" ( if it really is a word) is not found in my copy of the fly tyers dictionary. :smoke: :hyst: