Fly Tying

I'm working my way steadily through the "A"s in the Bergman wet-fly plates. I thought this pattern was particularly striking. It's called the Allerton.

John

That is a beautiful fly John, I can't wait until you get to the B's! :lol:

A gem. :headbang:

Allerton was involved with the famed Oquossoc Angling Assoc. in Maine in the mid 1800's. He wrote a book about the Maine Brook Trout in the late 1800's. I feel a slight connection to this fly, because Allerton was also responsible for bringing bass to Maine around 1870 from a NY state pond of a friend. He placed them into Lake Cobbosseecontee - where we happen to have a family camp.

Nice job John!

I have always liked tying the Allerton. The red, dark blue, & yellow, touched with gold - great colors!

The Bergman color plate shows the teal tail as you tied it. When I tie the Allerton, I nearly always use the optional (as listed in Trout) barred wood duck for the tail. Really adds a striking variation.

DB

Thanks for the kind words, guys! This is turning into a fun project. I just finished off the "A"s last night with an Artful Dodger. Today I launch in on the "B"s with a Babcock.

And Chris, thanks for the background on the pattern. It's great to learn the stories behind some of these classics!

John