Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Jungle cock nail (eyes)

Been watching ebay and not happy with what I have seen there in the last few days so figured who better to ask than you guys. I'm looking for a small quanity of jungle cock nails(eyes). I use to buy them from a guy on ebay where he use to sell a small bag of them (about 20-25 eyes) in a baggie but he must not be doing that anymore. Theres some on ebay right now but they look like they are all split and all different sizes in the bag.

So, does anyone know a place that still sell's small quanity's of JC nails for a reasonable price? or even if anyone here would like to sell me a small amount of them then that would work as well.

What they are for is alignment marks on some fly rods I'm building, so buying a whole cape really isnt something I want to do since it would take me 20 yrs to ever use it up lol.I use them on rods such as this and only use them 2 feathers at a time, so you can see why buying a cape isnt practical for me-

IPB Image

thanks

Steve

steeliehead

since you are covering them with "varnish" you can repair the nails like many people have done in the past when using the nails for fishing flies...it is called french polish...you put a small drop of varnish(, lacquer, whatever,) onto the pad of your index finger, then place the jc nail onto it, then squeeze it with your thumb...by pulling the jc nail from between the finger and thumb a few times flattens out the jc and the squeezing action places varnish between the split sections of feather, adhearing them together

works fine for flies used for fishing and for your application provided you have nails that aren't too bad

you can find a fishing grade neck that contains split nails for about $50 from a few sources, i read your thread and to buy a dozen costs about $8-10,

...the color is the key...but it can be done...

e-mail me if you wish for further info

What they are for is alignment marks on some fly rods I'm building,

Thats a SWEET idea!

~James

Well....contacted John...no dice. Bought some off ebay, and the ones I bought had more splits than a swedish gymnastic team at a $1 beer night :blink: Too many to even deal with fixing. Wasted $10

Anymore suggestions? or am I gonna have to spend $130 on something that will take me 15 years to use up? <_<

Steve... give Alvin Theriault a call like Royce suggested. I've bought from him in the past and have had no troubles at all with any of my orders from him. It's a little "mom and pop" family operation and they seem to be great folks.

Mike

Let me know if you get ahold of them. I may need some goodies, too. :rolleyes:

Mike

Sign in to follow this