Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

i need help with deer hair...???

when ever i do deer hair it just wont pack right. it always lays back at an angle instead of standing up??? what the heck am i doing wrong??? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Most likely using the wrong part of the deer. It sounds like you are using bucktail. You need to use the body hair, which is hollow. It is the compressing of the hollow core that causes the deer hair to flair. Belly hair is the best for flaring in my opinion. If you are already using body hair, the you may not be drawing down tight enough. Make sure you use at least something like a 3/0 thread so you can crank on it a little without worrying about breaking it.

Good advise. Any one on one time you can get with someone who can spin or video time will help. The best videos I have seen on the subject are the one's from Chris Helm.

Also...practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. This is admittedly one of the weak points in my fly tying arsenal, though getting better, and I have nobody to blame except myself.

when ever i do deer hair it just wont pack right. it always lays back at an angle instead of standing up??? what the heck am i doing wrong??? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

What fly pattern are you trying to tie so we can understand what we need to advise you.

My advise BUY THEM PRE MADE :wallbash: freakin :wallbash: deer :wallbash: hair :wallbash: piles :wallbash: of :wallbash: dog :wallbash: doo!!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Dont sweat it I cant do it either !!! I guess mostly because I have not takin time to try !!! just one or two sorry attempts at it!!!

Best thing to do is to buy some BIG bass hooks to practice with......tie and shave, tie and shave.......But first you should sit down at someone's desk and let them SHOW you. Our suggestions on this will only get you so far, you need to see the process, and get critiqued on your attempts. Talk to your local fly shops, if you catch them on a slow day you might be able to talk them into SHOWING you a few. Offer a few bucks in materials and ask if you can try with a bit of coaching......this worked for me!

I think deeky has it, not all deer hair was created equal. On top of that you want to make sure that you are prepping your bundles right, make sure all the fuzz is removed from the base and that you trim the tips off before you start.

Tying with deer hair isn't easy, its a skill like any other and needs to be practiced. Its not a bad idea to just practice spinning on a hook you have no intention of fishing. Try a bundle about the size of a pencil, then try one four times that size. Try holding the hair at a 45 degree to the shank, then a 90 then flat parallel. It may just be the collected results of a lifetime of head injuries but I find I learn a lot more by trying to screw things up than by trying to do it right.

However you learn it I really think you should, and don't give up. Deer hair flies are some of the most fun to tie.

Hi sniksoh,

Spinning hair comes from the rib/belly of the animal and tends to be light gray in color. Wing/tail hair comes from along the backbone, should, & rump - it tends to be a very dark gray in color. Be sure you are using hair from the rib/belly of the animal if spinning hair is your goal and I think I picked up that is what to want to accomplish. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Just to add to Al's very correct advice, try to get Mule Deer hair rather than any other deer type. It is the best for spinning, it is usually longer and more hollow so it compresses and flares well without cutting through. Unfortunatly, most store bought hair is not classified or identified, but some stores do a very good job of providing the correct details. One of the best alternatives is to find a fellow hunter and get the entire hide from them, ask that they skin the animal leaving most of the leg fur and neck fur on the hide. Then prepare the hide for your use by cutting various sections into 1"X1" and staple this to a piece of wallboard (rock board etc), Cover this with lots of salt and let it dry. Make sure you mark each piece properly, neck, leg, rib, belly etc. No need to have the hide tanned, but tanning the whole hide is an option.

When you are done, have a deer hair "trading" party with fellow tiers and you can get lots of very neat stuff for your efforts!

the thread you use can effect the hair also...you need a strong thread...some guys like kevlar but that can cut the hair...thry a 3/0 waxed thread mono will slide on you and give you more problems...

sean makes a good point (so does everyone else for the matter!) about the ampoount of hair you use

practice practice practice

I think too much is made about spinning. Stacking hair allows you to put a whole lot more on the hook. More hair on the hook lets you pack tighter. This is especially true for getting a bunch of hair up near the hook eye. It also gives you more control.

I find that sometimes after you have made your third wrap of thread over the hair and draw it tight to spinn the clump of hair, it will flare but not spin. You might need to let off a very slight bit and help the clump spin with your thumb and fingers. Once it starts to spin draw the thread tight. It should realy start to spinn now. Relax as the clump of hair is not going anywhere. Pack the hair back, then wiggle the thread through. Make a couple turns of thread. If you have to pack or push thread tight againts the clump of hair. I find hair will spin best on a bare shank, but if you have to spin on a shank with thread on it and are having problems, coat the thread wraps with super glue and let dry. It will spin like a charm. Keep trying it will come to you.

7wt,

I agree with you. But I also think people included stacking when they use the word spinning. I know I confused the two for a long time. This fly is spun, but some of the other frog patterns that are going around right now with the color spots are actually stacked. Stacking also allows you to simply thread rubber legs through after trimming, rather than tying them in and then trimming around them as with spinning.