Fly Tying
sniksoh

what is the use of a bodkin???

The bodkin is mainly used to put on head cement. It is usd for other some things as well, like picking out dubbing, etc.

I use my bodkin in many ways.

1. I use it to apply small ammounts of head cement, clear nail polish to my flies (heads and backs usually)

2. when you have a bit of material that covers the eye of the hook, heat it up and stick it through the hook to burn out those materials.

3. pick out dubbing in order to give my nymphs a more "buggy" look to them

just to name the most common uses of my own bodkins

Just to add:

I use it to whip finish when I whip using my fingers. Put the bodkin through the loop when you draw it tight and it keeps it from twisting into a knot before I get it all pulled through.

I also use it to fold short lengths of materials with my big fingers. Lay the material or clump over the bodkin, and you can then fold and pinch the materials around it easier.

Bodkins are also great for starting holes in foam or zonker strips if you are going to thread them on the hook. Much easier than just using the hook.

I keep one bodkin for cement and a clean one for other work.

Hi,

You can use a bodkin to make extended bodies. Dip the bodkin in glue/head cement then dub a small clump of dubbing on the end of the wet bodkin. Slip the formed dubbing from the bodkin and set it aside to dry. When it is dry you can tie it to a hook as an extended body. It's real easy to also add a tail. Any ideas how to do so? Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I also use the bodkin to apply real small amounts of zap a gap or loctite super glues. I find that keeping the bodkin clean with a fine grit emmery cloth/ sand paper does it justice. It will also thin it and make it better for adding head cement.

I usually use round toothpicks to apply head cement, etc. Don't have to clean 'em off.

Use the bodkin for all of the above, + pulling hackle out from being trapped under ribbing,

etc. I make my own from pcs of deer antler and a large sewing needles. Damn rustic looking. :)

I got a bodkin cleaner from a friend. Empty film canister stuffed full (but not too full) of fine steel wool with a hole in the center of the lid just big enough for your bodkin. Stick in in, give a couple of twists and it's clean. particularly if you only have one bodkin, it's really easy to keep it clean for other uses. Just make sure the cement is dry before going to the steel wool.

If you whip finish by hand, a bodkin is great for keeping the thread loop tight as you draw the whole whip fisnish together.

~James

I occasionally use mine to loosen the tobacco in my pipe if it gets packed too tight. I also used it once to hold a really small bluegill over a campfire when I got lost getting out of the remote lake I was fishing. ;)