Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

shooting sunsets

Here is a quick and easy trick/technique for capturing great sunset shots that do not even require a good sunset(according to your eye).

The technique is you aim your camera at the brightest possible point which is in this case the sun. Hold down the button half way so that it sets the shutter/aperture according to that spot. Then move your camera to whereever you want to take the picture. Because you got your metering from the sun it will actually darken and at time silhouette the rest of the picture and will bring out a dramatic look to the sky. The end result will be a picture that is nothing like what the actual event was but it can capture a beautiful image.

Back in the old days(before photoshop) this was the only way to play with colors and lighting with a photograph. So this should be able to be accomplished with any camera and you won't need photoshop or any other software to get this effect.

So next time you see an "OK" sunset, point your camera right at the sun, push the button halfway(never let it back up) and then go ahead and take your regular picture. The outcome can be quite surprising.

Here is a pic I took while on vacation in Hilton Head, the sunset was OK but not very colorful. This technique make it look much better than it did in reality.

IPB Image

that makes sense ill give it a try!!! I have also use the manual controls and set my own apature and speed. What I find is that the screen view is not always true to the photo when doing it that way so I take a few shots in the range to get the one I want. Ill try your method it may save me some fishng time!!!

We were in San Diego this past week, and I wish I knew of your trick ahead of time, because the sunsets weren't particularly great the days we were on the beach for them.

One thing I did do to get a better picture is point and focus as normal, but placed my polarized (non prescription) glasses directly in front of the lens. Got a much nicer photograph. I've heard that you can get good photos of fish underwater using that same trick.

I have a polarizing filter for my camera and the shots it gets are fantastic. It takes the glare off the water and actually makes the sky a little more dramatic. It also takes the glare off any other surface, glass, etc. A polarizer was the very first accessory that I bought and would recommend it to anyone who can add one. The sunglasses is a good trick that gives the same effect, just always make sure the glasses are very clean or the camera will focus on any spots and leave the real pic blurry.

Here is a few shots that show what the water looks like with a filter

IPB Image

IPB Image

Coolidea Im going to have to look for a polarized lense for mine!!! Hey will doed your dad fish for the small week funny looking smallies alot???? it is a pretty one but not much bronze in that one!!!

Yea that was one trip where we decided to see what trout fishing was all about. I wasn't impressed.