Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly fisher09

Tying Egg Patterns??

Ive fished with egg patterns before and have had good luck. I recently lost my vest and all of my flies soo that includes the precious egg patterns.I was curious if anyone know a simple way to tie them?If you could post the pattern and recipe as a reply that would be phenominal.Thanks

-Fly Fisher09

My camera's inop. right now, but for a single egg, get some egg hooks or scud hooks and your yarn. Most places have egg yarn, even for guys that don't tie, just wind it on a treble hook, so it's readily available. Start your thread on the hook and put about 4-5 tight turns around a lengthe of yarn And tie off there. Pull the two ends up tight and cut the yarn at about 3/8" long and it will pop into shape. You can trim off the sharp edges or buy some curved scissors to save time. The hatches magazine has a good article on a leach pattern. Leave a littl space at the head of the leach and tie one of these eggs there for an egg sucking leach pattern. Or, do the same with a wooly bugger.

Oh yeah, Jo Ann fabrics has packages of hot red pre-tied eggs or pom-pom things made the same way sans hook. Just be careful sliding the hook through, almost did a number on myself. They are very close to a steelhead egg.

Redleg I love ya but I hate yarn!!!!! Get some mcfly foam and a applicator kit. find my Pom Pom fly tutorial (there are others on the site to for egg flies) and follow the step by step. When I tied yarn flies they looked like shit and took for ever. I saw foam for the first time my jaw hit the floor now I can do 60+ perfect eggs an hour!!!!

Go to the local hobby store and buy a bag of mini pom poms.

Stab a pom pom onto a curved shank hook and add a drop of super glue. 1 egg fly in less than 30 seconds. Repeat process until desired quantity is achieved. Try different colors!

:D :D

fyi craft store pom poms have nothing to do with the pompom I tie but they will work. You just do not have the ability to get creative with the colors and blood dot. Ill use 2 to 6 colors in some of my eggs. to create a 3d marbled egg

Sign in to follow this