Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

im goin on a trip!!!

im going on a trip this summer to my uncle's in colorado. he said that he lives near the platte river and i just need some tips on trout fishing:

1) what flies should i use?

2) how do i line my fly fishing reel?

3) do i need waders in order to wade or can i just go with shorts and bare footed?

can u help me out?

Here is a P.M. Scott Stisser sent me. I asked him about some fly patterns for Denver waters for my brother who lives there. My brother does not fish but wanted some flies for a gift.

Staples -

Adams Parachuttes size 18,20

No-Hackle or Compara Dun sizes 16,18 PMD color

sizes 20, 22 olive for baties

Humpy tan size 16,18

Pine Squirrel Leach olive, tan TMC 300 #10, same as

a bunny leach but squirrel has shorter hair

PT Nymphs from #14 to #20

Bar's emerger 20,22

Elk hair caddis 16,18 tan and olive

Midges 20,22 black, olive

Should be enough here to pick out from and get

you to a dozen pretty easy. Hope this helps.

I have some trout flies posted on forum at

wyomingflyfishing.com (main page) button at top

takes you to the forum. This is my freinds Platte

River Fly Shop web page. Marvin Nolte and Deward

Yocum have posted some flies there also.

Scott

Hope this helps

Ive read some articles on Colorado Fly Fishing and here is what I got from it:

Flies:

Mysis Shrimp 14-20

Miracle Nymph 18-22

Mercury Midge 20-24

Buckskin 18-22

Black Beauty 20-24

Flashback Pheasant Tail 18-24

BH Pheasant Tail 18-24

Red disco Midge 18-22

Stans blue midge 22

and Griffiths Gnat 18-22

These all were comiled from Ed Engles colorado fly box.Hope you have great fishing.

Good Luck Hope i could help!

-Bennett

Staples -

Adams Parachuttes size 18,20

No-Hackle or Compara Dun sizes 16,18 PMD color

sizes 20, 22 olive for baties

Humpy tan size 16,18

Pine Squirrel Leach olive, tan TMC 300 #10, same as

a bunny leach but squirrel has shorter hair

PT Nymphs from #14 to #20

Bar's emerger 20,22

Elk hair caddis 16,18 tan and olive

Midges 20,22 black, olive

Should be enough here to pick out from and get

you to a dozen pretty easy. Hope this helps.

I have some trout flies posted on forum at

wyomingflyfishing.com (main page) button at top

takes you to the forum. This is my freinds Platte

River Fly Shop web page. Marvin Nolte and Deward

Yocum have posted some flies there also.

Scott

Hope this helps

what do u mean when u say staples on the top of ur fly list?

these are the flies i have picked out so far...

1) griffiths gnat

2) hares ear nymph

3) pheasant tail nymph

4) elk hair caddis

5) royal wulff

6) prince nymph

are those good ones to use?

If you are fishing the south platte near Deckers or Cheeseman Canyon, I would recommend you tie up some rs2 patterns and also brassies in addition to the ones others have listed. If this is where you are going to fish, use a long leader with the standard two fly nymph rig.

This was a list Scott gave me, staples means must have flies for that area. If you go to the web site he included there is a hatch chart that should help to narrow down your fly selection. I am sure there are other hatch charts for that area.

I see that most of the flies mentioned are either nymphs or dries with the occasional streamer. I would sugest a floating line.

I dont know about you but I would never go wade fishing with out something on my feet.

ok...but i need some to tell me how to line my reel as if it was empty. i bought it with the line and everything already on it, and i need to change it

so does it go in this order:

1) backing

2) yellow line

3) leader

4) tippet

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What size rod do you have and what kind of reel?

Please be more specific!

Read the article below.

Since it is obvious you are a beginner, I wouldnt worry too much about adding any length of tippet to a 9 foot out of the package leader.

1. Setting up the reel.

Are you going to retrieve right handed or left hande. Its your choice and reels can be switched for either hand. Some people cast right hand and reel left handed. Some cast right handed and reel right handed. Neither way is wrong. Its purely your choice.

2. Backing.

Dacron backing comes in 3 weights. 12, 20 and 30 pounds and usually in 100 - 150 yard spools. There is also gel spun backing but since I dont use it I dont know alot about it. Its your choice.

3. Attaching the backing to the reel.

The link above and below gives shows you the knots to use for attaching the backing to the reel. When you attack the backing, the backing must be on the bottom of the reel when wind it on. The bottom of the reel is opposite of the reel foot!

4. Attaching the fly line to the backing.

Again, the links provided show you the knots to use when attaching the fly line to the backing. When using a brand new fly line, the end of the fly line wiil have a tag attached to it to tell you this is the end that goes on firstand is knotted to the backing. Wind the fly line onto the spool after knotting.

5. Attaching the leader to the fly line.

You will have to decide what kind of method you want to use: knots or a braided connector. Some people like knots, some people like braided connectors. The links provided above an below should show these connections.

6. Leaders

Leaders for freshwater usually come in 2 lengths: 7 1/2 foot and 9 foot and several different diameter sizes from 0X to 7X. They are also tapered to help in the energy transfer to propel the fly to its target. They can also be hand tied to various formulas. They also come in a mono material as well as fluorocarbon material, the latter being more stealthy.

7. Tippets

A tippet is merely an extension of the packaged leader. Some people will attach a section of tippet to a packaged leader to extend its length. Some wiil use the laeder as it comes out of the package and then add a tippet as the leader become shorter when material is used up changing flies. Tippet material come on a spool in the same material as the leader.

Thats all there is to it.

Another suggestion is to visit your local fly shop for additional advice. They will even load up that reel for you. Just buy the materials there and that service should be free.

There is also alot of info on the web. Just go to GOOGLE and type in "Rigging a fly rod".

Loop to loop conector: IPB Image

http://www.flymartonline.com/article215.html

my rod is a 7 foot, 2 piece, eagle claw and my reel is daiwa.

i dont think it is a very good set because, i baught it of a friend for $15!

i cast with my right hand and retrieve with my left hand.

if i am going trout fishing what size of backing, fly line,leader, and tippet should i buy?

and does the tippet attach to the leader?

sorry for all the questions but, yes, i am a beginner.i have never fly fished on a river nor a pond for trout. so any help would be very appreciated!