Fly Tying
SmallieKiller

Senko imitation

Anyone have a suggestion for a fly type that would closely imitate a Senko? We've been cleaning up on Presque Isle bay with Senkos. I'm looking to take the fly rod with me the next time I head out, but I'm looking for something I can drop down in 3'-5' of water, and slowly jig along. We've been using 4" baits. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

SK

I have been working on this for some time. I have a fly in my data base called slenkgo it can be fished ike a senko or a slugo. if you want tying instruction let me know ill pass them on to you

somebody did an artticle in fly tyer i believe a few issues ago.

they used a purple magnum zonker strip, coated it with flex seal with sparkles in it and let it dry. tied it to the hook, and that was it, or at least what i can remember, i will see if i can find it anywhere to see if i left anything out.

Try tying up a Howser. I use very small sized clouser eyes that allow the fly to be fished like an unweighted sluggo type bait.

All kinds of fish will hit this fly but I love the smallies most :P

IPB Image

As long as we're all promoting our own fly patterns here ( ;) ), I'd suggest that you try a white wooly bully (in the database). It moves more like a sluggo than a senko, but it has a near nuetral bouyancy that drives fish nuts.

Senkos do several things - they are erratic on the retrieve, and they wobble on the fall. Following all of the posted recipes, its obvious that there are several ways to skin a cat.

I use a lead-wrapped heavy shank hook with a SW zonker strip tail with a cross-cut zonker palmered body. Not pretty, but effective.

IPB Image

For looks...same thing with crystal chenille substituted for the body.

IPB Image

If you are using a sinking line, substitute a foam underbody -- that is the set up I usually use in deepwater.

Greetings, I might have a solution for your Senko problem. This is alittle radical, but that's what I do. I have no photo's to show you, so I will try to explain as best I can. First take a good wet or streamer hook and put into your vise in a vertical plane. Not a horizontial plane. Tie on your thread and wrape on some barbell eyes, you can also use a bead head if you prefer. Then get your self a large bunch of synthetic wing material of your choice, and the color that you want to use. The buch should be about the size of a pencil. Take that buch of fiber an at the mid poit of the bunch, push it over the eye of the hookso the bunch surrounds the hook shank. Now tie it on to the hook using figure eight wraps. When the buch is secure whip finish the thread and glue. Now take silicone or soft tex or a similar product and coat the synthestic wing material, I guess you could taper the ends of the material. This should produce a very unusual looking action to the fish. Hope this helps. Bill C.

JJD your all-white fly is very similar to one I've used for a long time with a lot of success - The only difference is that I use pearl crystal chennile for the body and palmer it with the fluffiest, webbiest white schlappen that I can find (I tie in by the butt and leave some of the fluff on) - I vary the length of the tail (though it's usually a bit shorter than yours) and tie it unweighted, weighted and with dumbbell eyes - makes a good squid fly as well as an all-around attractor - it's my go-to fly for stripers, blues, bonito and albacore - like you say, pretty it ain't, but I wouldn't go fishing without it - Note: the mono loop is an absolute must

Bill - your fly sounds like a neat idea.

Peterjay - the "buggers" seem to be fish catching machines in all of their forms. For the longest time I avoided rabbit strips, but I don't know if there is any substitute material with the action and durability of rabbit.

Does any one have a picture of these two lures? Sluggo, senko? I have not bought or realy even looked at Bass tackle in years