Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Mayfly,a turtle, and a worm in a tree

I tried to fish this morning. Before I even got close to the river, there was a puddle with a couple turtles in it. You can see how the mud is built up on its back. Its strange that it would be covered in mud like that. Unsure what type of turtle. Small snapping?

IPB Image

Here you can see the trail in to the river, and how its flooded. I walked out as far as I dare, and poked around a bit.

IPB Image

I found this mayfly, drifting along and scooped it up and then let it crawl onto a tree. Quill Gordon? kinda late in the year. Grey drake? Two tails, black eyes. Here is a pic

IPB Image

I also found some caddis, spiders, beetle's, other mayflies, midges, snails, slugs, and this fella heading for high ground.

IPB Image

I can imagine the fish are feeding like crazy, with all kinds of drowned or struggling insects. Any help on the mayfly identification, if possible would be appreciated.

Daryn-

Looks to me like a male Epeorus pleuralis subimago (Quill Gordon). However, I'd be more comfortable with that if I could more clearly see the costal angulation of the hind wing.