Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishingboys

Portable Fly TYing Kit

Heading on the annual family camping trip/vacation in a few weeks. Thought it would be nice to sit around evening and tie up some flies for the next days outing. Need suggestions for what you use to carry your supplies in and how extensive do you outfit it? :dunno:

I typically overpack and take my whole 'Fly Hive' full of material of which I touch very little in actuality. The way I used to, and still should, is pick a few patterns yuo will likely use and take the stuff for those patterns and perhaps a few extras. An empty tool box is perfect for throwing in a vise, tools, thread, and materials or a handful of patterns and protects everything from getting trashed.

Before I got carried away with chronomids I used to bring everything I needed to tie every possible colour combination, hate being there and not having what I need. Now I have every possible colour combination you could imagine just for such an occasion on the lake. Than I brought the normal stuff for tying whatever nymphs or adults I could imagine could hatch.

I use my old salmon tackle box. Keeps everything seperated nicely and not heavy.

Hope this helps!

Jay

I've got a big old fashion drawer-style Plano tackle box full of materials and a smaller tackle box full of tools and my vise. The only problem is that I drive a truck and the boxes aren't completely water proof. They both end up in an even bigger storage box (along with other things) when traveling.

I use an old gym bag with multiple compartments. I keep my tools and vise in a zippered compartment. I also keep my dubbing and floss boxes in a seperate compartment. Most other materials I keep in the large middle compartment. I haven't had any problems with my hackle's being damaged. Since I do most of my tying at work this is my only tying kit. IPB Image

Try search and travel tying kits, there are several past pots with all kinds of info. A good tip is a vice with a base as you might not always be able to find somewhere to clamp it. If you are any good at wood work you could build a portable tying station. I think if I did I would leave all my materials where they are and "NEED" to stock it with new items. Does this sound like it should be in the other post. How do you know when you have enough tying materials?

here is a little tying station I built......hard plastic cover (in background painted silver).....held on by 2 thumb screws.....and the light is removable via wingnut

IPB Image

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I often carry my kit to work and tie during break and lunch. I also carry it when we go to wrestling tournaments so i have something to do in the hotel at night. My Tool kit and vise are a starter set from Cabela's. Everything is neatly contained in a nice wooden box. I bag materials for whatever I intend to tie in ziplocks. Toss in a few necks, extra tools, thread, nail polish(head cement w/o leakage) etc. It all fits in my old briefcase as well as some magazines to read.

Spanky