Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

Have I gone to far?

That only applies to this first fly. Don't have to much trust in tube flies, especially with tooth critters.

The body is preformed soft foam popper. The construction is thru wire using Tyger wire to connect the eye and tail and helping to hold the front swivel in place. Body is two inches long with the back hook adding another inch. Should be able to cast it with either a 6 or 8 wgt

IPB Image

The these two are sliders I'm tied for my Ontario trip in mid-July. Destined for my 6 wgt.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A couple of Pike flies. They measure about 9 inches long, and are light enough to chuck and duck with a 6 wgt, but more suited to a 7 or 8 wgt.

IPB Image

IPB Image

As usual opions and suggestions appreciated, especially about the first one.

The Sliders look great as long as th legs are exactly the same length so they do not propeller through the air. The streamer look awesome.

Th first fly is a great idea, but I would be worried about the middle trable hook causing to many issue sin casting and would likely remove it in favor of onl a tail treble.

My question is why don't you trust tube flies with toothy critters? Figure the fighting connection is the same as any other fly, unless you just can't get a heavy enough bite tippet through the tube.

Other than that I agree with redwings - I'd even try just a single dressed hook at the rear, that way the fly will sit on the water with a tilt, much better hook ups especially for explosive takes.

The fire tiger fly on the bottom looks like a winner - if you find that it fouls a lot - run some softex through the material to the bend it will stay flexible and with that long tail action wont be an issue - you could also tie it on a shorter shanked hook, and then extend it by tying on a piece of heavy mono.

The first fly, if you can cast it blast it!!! The spit ring gives you options. The rest are gems, but I agree about the softex. what is the hook?

I use single treble hooks for some of my flies, that popper looks great, but like someone else said, could be an issue getting tangled in a cast, I had a nightmare of a time with any popper/rapala lure when I was a spin fisher, with the front treble getting caught on the line, but maybe it was just me and my lack of good casting :rolleyes: they all look great however, but I really like those pike flies most of all !!! :D

I appreciate the comments.

Redwings1:

I'm hoping to get out this weekend, and see how it casts. I'm not sure if it will be an issue, but if it is I may remove the hook. I think the fact that the hooks are debarbed might help keep that to a minimum, I willing to put up with the occasional tangle if the fly works. Actually it would be easier to make without the front hook, though I suppose I could add a rattle in the front hole.

I think that's just the camera angle on the slider legs. I used a ruler when I cut them to size. If the fly twists I'll just remove a leg, and if it still twists, I'll end up with one leg instead of three.

Sean Juan:

I have this vision of the hook being bit off and the tube body drifting slowly out to sea. I have floated it in the bath tub and it does sit with a bit of a tilt, the back hook is a bit larger than the front hook.

I'm not a big fan of Softex or anything else I have to use in a well-ventilated room. If I wanted that type of body I would have used silicone. What I do use is Flex-Loc, which is now water-based, and far less toxic. I coat the body to the bend with it and it will hold the material in place the same as the Softex.

The hook is a Partridge Pike hook; I'd have to look the number up. A Dutch friend who was tying at the Somerset, NJ show was using them, and I just really liked them. Since a lot of European Pike fishing is done in brackish water, I can use them in salt water also, and they are needle sharp. I'd like to see them in a smaller size, but they're only made in size 4/0 to 8/0. Both of the pike flies are tied on the 8/0. I've got a couple of 12/0 Gamakatsu hooks on the desk. I plan to tie another one on the Partridge hook, and two on the Gamakatsu. I may do extended bodies with the Gamakatsu, but I want to keep the length at about 8 or 9 inches, and since the 12/0 Gamakatsu is just a bit shorter than the Partridge I'm not sure I really need one.

I'm tying up some weedless poppers. We have Snakeheads in a couple of lakes in South Philly, and they like to hang in weedy areas, so I need something that won't collect junk. I'll post them up as soon as I get a chance to take some pictures.

Great work Philly! I love the sliders especially, and that first popper reminds me of a fly rod Zara Puppy sparkleminnow did some time back: looks good, but looks great on a spinning rod! ;)