Fly Tying
sniksoh

oh yeah!!!!!!!

i went to sportsmans warehouse today and i took back an old fly tying bag, for store credit.i got $60.00!!!

i just wanted to know what u think i should buy????(fly tying related)

If I were you I would decide what you are going to fish for, then pick out 6 patterns and by the stuff to do those patterns. Got to love store credit :headbang:

1/2 Jungle cock cape or 2 Macaw Tails......Just kidding.

Seriously though, every kind of EP fiber you can find. You could probably get 15 or more hanks for $60. Stuff has unlimited possibilities. You can tie streamers, loop and wrap it for collars, cut it up real fine for something like SLF dubbing and on and on. Man, it's great stuff. I'd recommend it or else just get a ton of hooks cuz ya can't tie without the iron!! -James D TB7

Since sniksoh is one of our youngest members here and just getting into fly tying, I think it's very wise of the young man to ask the more experianced guys what he should use his money on. So cut him some slack guys :nono:

sniksoh- If I were you I would sit down and decide what the most popular patterns that you will be using the most in your area will be and then stock up on the materials for those patterns. If your going to be fishing largemouths with popers...then stock up on some poper bodies and 4xl hooks to tie them on as well as some rubber legs or anything else that might come in handy on a popper (and I just use poppers as an example).

Or if you feel you will be using a variety of patterns in your local area- then stock up on the materials that are very common to most patterns such as some strung hackle in various colors, deer hair patchs, marabou, etc, etc....

OR - and this would blow the whole $60 on one item but would be VERY worth it to you. See if they have a copy of the Fly Tyers Benchside reference. That book will teach you anything and everything you would want to know about fly tying

Steve

i don't know what kind of fly shop ya got around ya, but in some you can sit down and chit-chat with the proprietor. If you can, try to spend some time there, as most guys are more than willing to help ya out with some tying techniques and patterns. learn what you can if its possible.

if you don't have a flyshop like that, it may be wise to invest some of the money in a tutorial book or pattern book. This will help ya out immensely in your future tying. Maybe one book and if anything is left over, get some materials to tie a fly that you have good luck with, or want to tie to hone your skills.

just some thoughts, as confusing as they may be.

I am guessing you have plenty of tools???

I so I suggest picking out a few recipes/patterns and then buying the materials for them. I kinda wish this is what I would have done for certain materials.

OR - and this would blow the whole $60 on one item but would be VERY worth it to you. See if they have a copy of the Fly Tyers Benchside reference. That book will teach you anything and everything you would want to know about fly tying

At his experience level would the Benchside Introduction be a better investment?

Hooks, thread, tools if needed, tinsel, wire, dubbing, rubber legs, pheasant tail, squirrel tail, turkey quills . Brown, grizzly, capes can get some inexpensive ones or what colours you would need (hen saddle or neck), bucktail, deer hair patches. rabbit strips. Probably more than what your credit is but there are some things you should get. Hooks and thread are what you go through the most, get 200 yard spools if you can.

Once you really get into fly tying you will find all kinds of things everywhere, and think I can use that. You probably can, I do. What types of flies do you want to tie, or for what types of fish?

Let us know how you made out.

Certainly, if you don't have a beginners fly tying book I strongly suggest you buy one. Most beginning books have sections describing all areas of tying. My first book was an L.L. Bean publication. It has about 2 dozen patterns and a wealth of information. From a materials standpoint if you don't want dozens of thread spools just buy black and white. You can always color the white thread to match a particular pattern. The $$ you save can be spent on other items...

Have fun shopping...