Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly fisher09

Presque Isle Bay

Hey guys. alright i'm up at Presque Isle Bay off of lake erie and am curious as to what a good assortment of flies to carry with me would include.I'd be fishing for largemouth smallies northern pike and i think thats about it.Thanks for all the help.

p.s. I need some replys quick soo fill me up THANKS

Fly fisher09

Chartreuse over White, Brown over Orange and Olive over Brown Closers

A few types of Emerald Shiner initations

Black and Olive Wooly Buggers (of course!)

Stone nymphs from 16 to 8 (or 16 and 8)

Some poppers

I'm sure some of our other Erie guys will chime in!

flyfisher09 - You should try a pattern called an Emerald Candy. The Emerald Candy pattern was created by a gentleman in Erie, PA and there was recently a great article on fly fishing Presque Isle bay in one of the fly fishing magazines (sorry - I don't remember the name right now, but I will post it if I find it again. Anyway, the article talked about fishing for bass (large and smallmouth) and pike in the various bays of the harbor. One of the patterns that was listed was for the Emerald Candy (similar to the Surf Candy fly, but with different colors to imitate the local bait fish.

I uploaded a couple different versions to the fly pattern database on this web site (search for "Erie Candy" and I think you will find them all) earlier this spring along with the tying details., which have been great on the bass. I think the article also listed Clouser deep minnows and a goby pattern (invasive species that the bass are now eating in Lake Erie) as very productive at the park.

If you are into tube flies, there are a couple other patterns that I posted here that may work on pike (at least I'm hoping to one day test them on some pike when I get time). If you do a quick search for the word "tube" in the fly pattern database, you can see some of the other patterns I posted. They can also be tied on standard hooks.

Good luck and post a photo if you are successful!

Enjoy.

Ray (letumgo)

<°)((((><

P.S. - I just remembered that there was a fly shop in the town near Presque Isle that would carry the patterns in case you didn't want to tye them yourself (http://www.lakeerieultimateangler.com/1119138.html). I believe the article was written by one of the guys at the shop.

flyfisher09 - I just found the magazine with the article on Presque Isle. It is the July 2006 edition of Fly Fisherman magazine (article is called "Presque Isle Paradise" written by Karl Weixlmann, Page 44).

The patterns listed in the article are as follows:

Moby Goby

Emerald Candy

Clouser Deep Minnow

Deceivers

Half and Halfs

Bunny bugs

Good luck. ;)