Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ashby

I made it to the sand!

Holy cow guys. I don't quite know what to say to all the replies to my post of leaving. I guess first thanks for pinning it for me, bid suprise. Second, thank you guys so much for all the words, prayer and wishes. I will be passing this on to all my buddies as soon as I figure out a way to coppy it and put it on my stick or print it. In any case, I'm here. I had to find a dial up puter over here to get on and see how things were going with you guys. I don't have a lot of time to check out the other topics at this time, but I will. As for me, we are sitting in about 125 degrees right now. At night it gets to about 100 and that actually feels good, oh yeah and it's humid. I have had the oportunity to see some feeds from the feilds and let me tell ya, I don't care what anyone says, we have this bull by the horns. I can't go into detail on much of it, but it was pretty darn cool, and eye opening. We are going 24/7 here, but we are well taken care of. Pretty much if you can say the Alied Nation that is helping us, we have them here. Yesterday was a long one, we had to put in 16 hours to fix one of my planes. Thing just would not listen to me, it did in the end and everyone is happy from the four stars down. I'm sure in the next few months I'll have some stories that I can share but as of now, this is my second day in the sand so stay posted. Tell ya though, man you guys are the best. You let a man know where his friends are, and that they are behind him, thanks a lot for that, and God bless you all. I'll be able to check in once in a while and I will. Take care everyone, and thanks again.

Ashby

Great to here all is well buddy. I'm also glad to here the bull is getting under control. I look foward to you future post. 125 :bugeyes: I was complaining about this 90 degree weather here. You will be in my thoughts buddy. Talk to you later.

-Sam

Dang not even a "dry" 125 degrees :lol:

Glad to hear you made it there safely. Keep the spirits up and let us know how your doing whenever you can. We all look forward to your safe return :punk:

Ashby,

Glad you made it safe! I'm with Harley on this one, it was about 85 with 98% humidity in PA today, I was griping up a storm! 125!!! You are a tough cookie, as well as all the other troops over there!! Be safe and GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!!! -James D TB7

Glad you had a safe trip bro, stay safe over there, and keep those planes in tip top shape, we all look forward to your future posts and your safe return, as well for all of the other guys over there, we appreciate what you all are doing!!!!!! B) ;)

Wow...I finally know someone over there I can root for..

Be carefull, drink as much water as you can, and know that we're thinking of you!

Fishy :)

Dear Mom and Dad and Spot:

Well, I made it to summer camp. It's way different than you told me it would be. There aren't very many trees. The ground doesn't look like the dirt in our backyard, it looks like sand and it blew all over my peanut butter and fluff sandwich at lunch today. Yuck.

There's no lake near my campsite like you told me- there's only this ditch with dirty brown water and people hanging around the edge doing all kinds of stupid stuff, it looks like it's been messed up pretty bad. The big lake is a real hike from camp and I can't wait to go there to start watersports and other neat stuff.

The roads around camp aren't bad but there's always a line of people's cars waiting to get around. Some of them look like they're carrying all their laundry in the back and the camp staff makes them all get out and looks to see if they're bringing any stuff they're not supposed to have with them. Sometimes they make them go home in the same way they drove, other times they'll take them to the Camp Director or one of the senior camp staff 'cuz they must've done sumthin' wrong.

My bunkmates are okay. Tthere's this one kid who gets jelly on his upper lip and we make fun of him. The other day when we were in the dining hall he tripped on his shoelace and dropped his lunch tray - we all laughed and made him mad and he farted and we laughed harder and he got mad and ran back to the campsite to pout!

There's a cool rifle range here. I get to shoot a lot of different guns. Some of them make me jump around when the go off and I don't do very well shooting the target but I'm still trying. Maybe by the end of camp I'll get my marksman's certificate - oh, that bully Larry who lives across town is here too. you know the one, he's already starting trouble with the smaller kids and he's alread bragging about how good a shot he is and how he's gonna win camp marksman badge this year. What a jerk!

The food isn't great. Last night I had a pork chop with peas and potatoes and some applesauce. I should have had the pizza. the peas were mushy and the potatoes weren't mashed real good and the pork chop was hard. Good thing you sent all those snacks with me but I'm almost finished with the Oreos, I ate them on the bus ride. I hope the food gets better.

It's been wicked hot and the mosquitoes bite really bad. I don't think one set of underwear and socks for one day was gonna be enough while I'm here. I didn't mark all my stuff like they said to so I'm not gonna let them take stuff to the laundromat; I'll just throw it under my bunk.

Tomorrow we get to go on a hike to raid the other camp over in the date orchard. What's a date orchard? anyway, they're gonna let us go in patrols just like we do at home. I have all my uniform stuff so that should be pretty cool. That funny thing they told us was a flashlight for nighttime doesn't want to stay on my hat- and it looks funny to see green people walking around at night anyway.

Okay gotta go- they just rang the bell for everybody to go down to the dining hall for the movie! Tell Spot I miss him.

Love, your son Eddie

ps - Mom, can you send me another ten bucks without telling Dad?

Glad to hear you made it safely Ashby. 125 is bad enough but with humidity that is terrible. You keep up the good fight and remember we are all rooting for you bud.

Jim

Hey guys, just had enough time to stop by and check a few posts out. There are some awesome looking flies being tied up. I may have my stuff sent to me here, not all, but enough to keep me busy when I'm on down time. Thanks for the story of Eddie, that looks a lot like my emails to my wife lol. Take care guys and I'll stop in again soon.

Ashby

Be there, done that (...a time or two); got a son doing the same.

Stay focused, be alert, watch your step. Stayed connected with the forum, a lot of us care.

There's no lake near my campsite like you told me- there's only this ditch with dirty brown water and people hanging around the edge doing all kinds of stupid stuff, it looks like it's been messed up pretty bad. The big lake is a real hike from camp and I can't wait to go there to start watersports and other neat stuff.

I enjoy your sense of humor, DFix. Never drink dirty brown water.... :)

Hey ashby Im not only rooting for you but for all of the guys and gals over there!!!! Now go kick some Al-Qaeda but!!! That heat has to suck!!!! I can t even begin to understand what that must be like!! Tell all of your brithers and sisters over there not to listen to the press's BS and that the people of the USA love all of you!!!!!