Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Carne

Something else you'll be interested in

Sorry for the dodgy scan - the original print was duff

This is from my new toy - Maxwell - which I must say is an excellent and attracitve book (and fairly cheap from Coch-y-Bonddu in 2nd edition) with some really interesting patterns in it (though looking at the pics he was a crap tyer!)... Just waiting for the head to dry on my first one from the book which I recieved yesterday PM!

Anyway this is yer actual original Jock Scott - apparently tied in 1845 by the man himself on the way to Norway to fish.

I understand from the guy I just did the angling antiques brochure for that it does in fact still exist as he's actually seen it - it's now on the wall at the stately pile of the decendents of Jock's boss, Lord John Scott (I presume it was bought back at some point because Maxwell says it was in the possesion of a Mr Young near Girvan - that's a dodgy scots seaside town BTW).

Looking at the pic (I can see it better from the original) it's interesting to note there's no black body hackle, but that there is a topping (unlike the earliest listing I've seen for it - Francis Francis) - there's also Jungle Cock and Toucan (also omitted from FF) - which is unusual for a fly of this age.

Anyway sorry the scan's so rough - hope it's still of interest

Dave

post-3384-1151135270_thumb.jpg

This is from my new toy - Maxwell - which I must say is an excellent and attracitve book (and fairly cheap there's also Jungle Cock and Toucan (also omitted from FF)

Sorry this should have read that the JC is omitted in the FF version not the toucan.

D

would this be case of, say, even the classics werent exact?, or, the evolution of a fly?, or even just the different ways different people tie them??

interesting all the same

Looking at the pic (I can see it better from the original) it's interesting to note there's no black body hackle, but that there is a topping (unlike the earliest listing I've seen for it - Francis Francis) - there's also Jungle Cock and Toucan (also omitted from FF) - which is unusual for a fly of this age.

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but didn't seen this before recently and thought it was quite interesting.

Regarding body hackle, the fly looks like it's been fished and dried. Anyone who have fished a fly with crest tail, now that the tail will look something like this after a few swings. I think the body hackel is could got lost as it's often the first thing that break on a fly if it's winded together with the rib and not secured with thread.

Also discussed this fly with Long and I commented the high wing which he replied it look more like it's been lifted that high after the fly has been wet. There is not a lot material in the wing, and it would probably look pretty slim in the water.

dave...is this the holy grail?

No that's in the South of France protected by evil Freemasons and anaemic monks mate.

Dave

What a Flee!!! :headbang:

Look at that hook.

I think the wing angle has more to do with the tying style than being fished. This fly is how I was taught to tie a Jock. The underwing IS the fly! The wonderful white tipped turkey is the soul of a J. S.

I've fished featherwings a bit, and I've never had a wing POP up after being fished. Usually just the opposite, it usually compacts more.

The wing looks very "marburyish" to me. Maybe someone steeped in MOM stuff could comment on that wing?

Aaron

I've fished featherwings a bit, and I've never had a wing POP up after being fished. Usually just the opposite, it usually compacts more.

Didn't thought it got there without some help, rather that someone put it that way after being fished with.

McIntyre,

That makes sense. I see what you mean now. It was pulled up a bit maybe while wet to give it a bit more proflie.

Aaron

Sign in to follow this