Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Johnny Cash

This is the first time I've attempted this type of wing. I've been so dang intimidated by it for so long and finally just sat down and tried it, I don't know if my proportions are right, but setting it wasn't very hard at all. Makes me wish I would have got my butt in gear on these earlier :lol: Any feedback on my proportions would be greatly appreciated.

I love it man. THE MAN IN BLACK

I HEAR THE TRAIN A COMIN ITS ROLLIN ROUND THE BEND I AINT SEEN THE SUNSHINE SINCE I DONT KNOW WHEN IM STUCK AT FOLSOM PRISON AND TIME KEEPS DRAGGIN ON

Not to be picky, but...

1. Use the correct hook for wet flies

2. Stay clear of the eye of the hook with materials.

3. I'm not sure it is tradition or somebodies personal preference but try to have 5 turns of tinsel rib.

4. Wing might be a little longer.

5. Use Don Bastians formula for coating the thread head!

Just my opinion, others will vary!

In addition to any feedback anyone might have on the proportions, does anyone know the real name of this fly?

I thought you called it "Johnny Cash"?

Very nice Alex, I don't have my copy of Trout with me so I can't tell you if it is an existing pattern.

The proportions are very good considering it is your first. I don't think the wing is too short, the lower corner of the wing does line up with the curve of the hook and the wing ends in the middle of the tail, just like they're supposed to.

The circle hook does look odd, but if you're going to be fishing with this fly, the circle hook is better for the fish. If you decide later on to tie display flies, I recommend you get some 3399's.

The head could be smaller, but it is your first so this is something to keep in mind later on. The throat is a little sparse, but that isn't necessarily bad.

Overall, not bad! Now tie 100 more.

:lol:

I like it , to many picky people out there, the way Ilook at it you tye

what you like and if it catches fish thats what counts.

oh by the way don;t listen to me cause I'm not that good, but I tye what I like

sometimes they work sometimes they don't.

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

That is the way I tie my version of a Black Gnat in sizes 10 & 12. Only I use #94840 and mash the barb flat. I need to think about the circle hook. Looks good and catches lots of big Gills & shellcrackers. Ralph

Sign in to follow this