Fly Tying
dafack01

Where do I start when looking at a Kayak or a Canoe?

Where do I start? I'd like a Kayak because I just won't be able to buy a boat for a few years (a house and a new Truck come first once I begin my career). I'll be able to hit the streams for Bass, smaller lakes around KY for Largemouth (Cedar Creek, Guist Creek), and Cumberland River for Trout. Smallie Streams and Cumberland River are my top priorities. I'd love to be able to hit big lakes like Dale Hollow, but I don't have the money to fund a boat to fish them and run up Cumberland River when the generators are on. So Kayak it is. What are some things to get me started? I'm new to Kayaks. Outriggers probably are a must-purchase too. I'd like the extra stability. Or should I get a small Canoe with some Outriggers? Stability is my prime concern.

Get in touch with "Sean Juan" and "Dble Haul" they seem like they know quite a bit about yaks and could probably steer you in the right direction for what you need.

dafack01,

There are a number of great web sites giving detailed information on the various makes and models of kayaks availible. Here are a couple links that I have found to be especially helpful when I was picking out the kayak that I purchased last summer. I own a sit-on-top (SOT) style kayak made by Ocean Pacific. I purchased the 15 foot - 2005 fishing model and have enjoyed rigging it out over the past year (adding fishing rod holders, milk crate for holding anchor, drift sock, dry boxes, rudder, etc.). I found a number of web sites by simply searching on google for "kayak fishing" and you will find a number of links.

Excellent Kayak Websites:

Article on choosing a kayak

Choosing a Kayak (Key Features)

Various Articles about Rigging a Kayak for Fishing

Kayak Fishing Stuff - Various Articles

Photos showing rigged kayaks to give you some ideas

Rigged Kayak Photos

I'd be glad to give you my two cents if you have any specific questions regarding features, etc.

Ray (letumgo)

Get out you phone book and find a retailer who sells canoes and kayaks. See if he has a try out day and attend. Generally, you get to try out a wide number of different canoes and kayaks and you come away with a better idea of what will work. Don't presume that a kayak is the answer or a canoe - go try them.

And then see if you can find another try out day at a different dealer - most retailers push what they stock and, for example, might not have sit on top kayaks. After you have explored the envelope, I'm sure you will be able to find a used boat - a cheaper way to get into this.

I started in canoes, went to an inflatabe pontoon boat and ended up on a sit on top kayak.

In any event, get some instruction. Look into Red Cross small craft courses or ADK classes. You can usually do these with boats they provide before you buy - giving you another opportunity to try different things.

Check back as you go. There's a lot of good experience here. Also take a look at the forum on the KFS site mentioned above. Those guys (and I'm one) live and breathe fishing from small boats!

Stability really isn't an issue with most kayaks...last weekend in a small ocean chop I was standing up and casting from mine, and I'm not exactly small or coordinated. In fact I once tried to tip my kayak just to practice before heading out into deep water and I couldn't do it unless I held one side and pulled it over.

You really have just three choices:

A canoe - probably the least stable given the fact that you sit above the water, also I find they lack performance when you only have one person.

A SOT (sit on top) kayak - This is my favorite because it can't swamp (no real cockpit) you can get into and out of it easily which is a big plus when "bar hopping", and it has plenty of room for stuff and to cast, its really just a surf board with a seat. Worst thing about them is they have less glide than a SIK (see below) which means in a current or wind you will have to work harder its not a huge difference but even an average 1mph difference is sizable in a vessel that averages 4 and you are out for a long trip.

A SIK Kayak (Sit inside kayak) - These are much faster, lighter, and easier to paddle than a SOT - but I find them less comfortable - in my kayak I can sit legs out, side saddle, or even cross-legged doesn't sound like much but after a few hours being able to change position is a huge bonus - a lot of guys use them so you may be the type that likes them, I just don't.

As is the case with most things its really something you need to experience to know if its the right thing for you, luckily kayak rental places are fairly common and for a few bucks you should easily learn what type of yak you perfer.

I love mine and recommend that everyone at least consider it.

My uncle has a sick (as in awsome) duck hunting boat that we take out fishing. If I can find it on google I will post a pick. It has the shape of a kayak and can be mounted with a trolling motor or just paddled. Has two seats and gun holders in case you hunt. You can also easily stand for a good casting platform.

Stability really isn't an issue with most kayaks

Funny. I managed to spill over at Cumberland River in January a couple years ago. I must have had one of the ones that wasn't very stable! :P

Being able to stand up in the thing, while not ideal in a craft of this type, is a must.

Thanks for the imput everyone!

I ended up with a canoe, because I can't take the family with me on a kayak!

I would like to get a kayak for when I go off by myself. I saw that one sporting goods store in town has a kayak specifically built for fishing and I thought that was pretty neat.

I have rigged up my canoe with a trolling motor, and it really works slick. I go fishing with my 8 year old where I have him sit in the canoe while I wade next to him. Gives good control.

Anyway... the suggestions above are good... especially that you go to a place that primarily sells canoes and kayaks. The expertise they have is really helpful. Most such places are usually situated on or near water so you can get a trial run.

Another thing... look for a used one! Save money and you won't be so obsessive about every scratch and bump.

Another thing... (you thought I was done, didn't you?) ... make sure you can relatively simply launch and load and cartop whatever it is by yourself.