Fly Tying
Ashby

A day off

Well finally I got a day off. The cool thing is, they issued me a lap top that will get me on the network. Bad thing is I have to use a private proxy to get to this site so they can't see me. The only bad thing is, I can't use all the options you normally would be able to use on a regular web page. It's really not that bad over here though. We are at a new site and they are building 24-7. You go to bed, wake up and there is a new hand laid brick side walk. I'll have to take pics and show you guys. The flight line where my plane is though, that place is still hot, hot, hot. We took an IR temp the other day out there. With the air temp around 125 it was 150 4ft off the ramp. So you won't find me going out side too much on my day off. I really should have brought my tying equipment with me. I was scared some of the feathers would get taken at customs, so I didn't want to chance it. I think I'm going to have my wife send some of it over here. That would at least take away some of the down time. Well, got to go. Keep the flies coming. At least I can sit and look at them on my days off and dream of what could be lol. Take care all.

Ashby

Ashby, good to hear from you. I just cannot fathom that kind of heat, I got the A/C running full blast when it hits 90. :blink:

If there is anything I can do, just say the word.

Yeah man its great to see you will be checking in from time to time. I'm also a cold air freak, my A/C has been on for over a month now...LOL

-Sam

:o I thought I had it bad. It has gotten to 110 degrees here in Vegas but nothing higher. Im a mMichigan boy so I'm used to the snow and summers under 100. Can't even imagine what it must feel like. Is there anywhere to fish?

Glad to hear that your doing well, keep your head down and your chin up. Maybe we should send you some sunscreen, like spf 100! Seriously take care of yourself.

Good to hear you can get connected Ashby.

couldn't imagine that kind of heat, not too mention everything else.

Stay safe, stay cool and we are all looking forward to your safe return.

All the Best,

Damian

I really should have brought my tying equipment with me.

That reminds me of a story from my submarine days. We were down in the Caribbean doing an excercise. When the excercise was over, we had to do a fairly long transit on the surface, during which the captain elected to have what is called "Steel Beach". Steel Beach amounts to a cookout topside, usually accompanied with swimming over the side. Well, I'm no swimmer, but I did happen to pack a few lures and a fishing rod (don't ask where, I'd be in trouble). So I'm on the back of the boat, casting away, when I see the CO, who was from Tennessee, walking my way. He says "They told me someone was fishing back here. I should have known it was you."

Not knowing how to respond, I said "Yes sir, you probably should have."

He turned around, and I thought I was going to get it both for being smart and for not stopping when he walked up, and he says "Well, are you catching anything?" and just stood there laughing at me because we both knew I had no chance in hell at catching anything where we were with what I was fishing with, it was just the release it offered.

Anyway, I said all that to say yes you should have brought something because you never know when you may get to use it. If you need someone to send you something, PM me your contact info and I'll be more than happy to send it. God bless you and your unit, and happy hunting!

Terry

Good to here from ya man, too bad you cant do any tying right now, and dont think of joining or hosting any swaps, cause it would take a shit ton of stamps to get em to ya!!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: Keep ya head up and take care, I wish you and all of the others over there the best, and my prayers.. ;)

Ashby,

Hang in there, and know that many of us are praying for your safety.

By the way, I heard that by using a visegrip and C-clamp (military issue), a little tent thread(OD green), and a patch of camel hair, you can tie up some great "dessert buggers" Don't let anytning stop you.

Conehead

125 isent tooo bad in the desert...to me it is hotter when the humidity is 90 percent and its 98 degres out.

Stay safe over there.....good time to work on your tan :P -jason

Good point there fly by night, but that is exactly where the humidity is. It stays around 80 to 93% during the day, and at night we have seen it climb to around 100%. At night though it's only 95 to 100 degrees so it's ok. This week wasn't too bad. It's hung around 110 to 118 degrees. Next week they are saying it's going to be a hot one, can't wait. We are in the desert here, but we are also just a few miles from the gulf and that is where we get out humidity from. There is a big hole in the desert (about 10 football fields together) and that is where the these people dump their body waste at. So during the day, it all sets out there and cooks in this big hole, then at night, what rose up in the air falls with the humidity. So at night you get to smell all of this $hit and piss while it's falling down on you. Pretty nasty if you think about it. I have a few pictures and I'm trying like hell to get them on here. They have the network so locked down that it's making it impossible to do. I'm on one of the dial up puters now, and the only thing you can do is the net. There is no picture file to save to, can't import from a mem key, and I can't do it from the other puter because it is really locked down. If I can't get them on in the next day or so, I may need one of you guys to give me an addy, and I'll email them to you so you can put them on here for me. It's another night off so I have some things to get done (laundry, gym) but I will keep trying to get the pics out to you guys. Thanks again for all the kind replies, it really does mean the world to me.

Ashby