Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Philly

Black Froggie of Death

Anybody ever heard of this one? I know it originated in Canada(Ontario). I know several people who are desperately searching for a materials list and tying instructions. Any help would be appreciated.

SmallieHunter:

That all found when I did a search. Now I know of a pattern called Tony's Froggie. I wonder if I did it in black would it become the Black Froggie of Death. I was hoping one of the Canadians might have an idea, as Guelph is on the edge of Grand River country. I've stayed there several times on my way north. If I'd only known, such a great sounding pattern originated there.

I heard of this pattern but never saw one. I wonder if Canadian Fly Fisher mag could help. The name does sound good.

I know this is an OLD thread. I just stumbled on it when looking up Black Froggie of Death after seeing one in a photo that was posted recently on the New Fly Fisher online emag. There was no description of the flies in the photo but I recognized this one because I've fished with it over the years. I use to fish a lot with Ian James and this was one of his favorite top water bass flies.

It was created by Stephen Eszes back in the days of the old Casual Dress Fly Fishing Club. It is long gone. I learned about this fly around 20 years ago. It's a simple tie. Just spun black deer hair and black calf tail for the legs. It's meant to imitate small young frogs and toads. Size was usually a #4-6 stinger hook or other wide gap top water hook.

BlackFroggieOfDeath_zpslsvcqtf0.jpg

Anyway...thought I'd post this so it wouldn't be lost forever, since Ian's passing. Reference to this fly also appears in Ian's book, Fumbling with a Fly Rod.

LOL Black bunned dead frog ... is NOT the same thing as the Black Frog of Death !!!

At least, I don't think it is.

Who makes black hamburger buns ???

I've been on this site way too long. It took a while to get an answer but thanks for the information and the picture. Just got back from Northern Ontario yesterday. Will organize my thoughts and pictures and post a report.