Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

bleeding minnow

Not a bad looking fly, I am sure it will catch fish.

One suggestion. I would personally put the red on the underside of the fly, but that is probably just personal opinion. Be sure to let us know if you get any fish with it!

Yea, I'm sure it would catch fish. It is just a more "accepted" practice to tie red in as a throat. That is the great thing about tying flies you can experiment with different styles and color combinations. Use your fly and tie another one with a red throat and see which one does better for you.

Not too shabby, I agree with the others, with the red on the underbelly, but your doing well, keep it up.

Thats lookin' good bud looks like your starting to get the hang of things. Good for you B)

From the looks of the first pic it looks like you had the eyes on the actual head (thread) of the fly. Thats why they were most likely not staying on very well. Always try to put the eyes on the material of a fly. The glue will hold much better that way.

Your gettin' there though, keep it up and it will keep getting easier and easier for you.

Also since this is your first year of tying dont forget to eneter the "rookie of the year" catagory on the Fly Tyer of the Year contest we hold here. Usually we have a great prize for that catagory of tools or materials so it would be very worth you entering that.

Steve

i dont know if i could win that...all the flies that i have seen that have won it are way better than i can tie???

The rookie catagory is only for guys that have been tying less than 1 year, so theres usually not very many guys in that catagory, so your chances would be better than you would think ;)

I realy like the look of the second fly. I will tell you that if you shorten the length of the marabou it will fish better. I wish it wouldnt but marabou and other things wrap them self in the hook gap. A little bit of dubbing on the head of the fly will help the eyes stay on.

The length of the red marabou on your first fly is about right for the black on top. If you want the fly longer than that. First tie on a black plume, shank length, then chennile then wing and throat.

Nice job !!! I like both flies equally. Entering the contest is not about winning it is about participating!!! Pick a more difficult pattern and tie up 3 or 4 or more a week. Just keep trying until you know it in and out. If you put in a fly that you know in and out and tie well you have a shot. I personally do not vote for the most "holy wow look at that fly" I also look for tying quality. Something that I am working still on my self!!!!