Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

bleeding minnow

Good Day,

This can depend on personal preference. My preference would be short on the red. No more than the width of the hook gape, or shorter still.

Steelie

Good Day,

Hard to really say fronm the photo, but seems O.K. You will know if it is too long if it is getting wrapped around the body while fishing, or the hook bend. If so, then it needs to be shortened.

Steelie

Have a look at these streamers John tied, the far left black ghost marabou, You will see the white marabou wing extends just to the back of the hook.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17459

You will also see the yellow throat is very short. On your fly it is called a bleeding minnow, I think the red looks good a little longer, but I would keep it in front of the hook point. The reason being predator fish like to grab there prey right at the gills to suffocate it. If you keep the red throat..gills, just at or in front of the hook point the fish will hit your fly and find something they dont want, your hook point.

When I tie a marabou plume as a wing, tail or throat I will pull off all the garbage at the base of the feather, the stroke all the feather barbs back to expose the tip of the feather. I will pluck the tip out and toss it. About a half inch or so. Not all but most marabou stems have a curve that leads to the tip which sometimes twists. The stem will follow the tip. Once removed I then preen the feather from butt to tip back to shape, then dampen it. Dip it a glass of water or a spray mist bottle etc. The dye in the marabou will come off a bit on your fingers so watch putting your fingers in your mouth. ( not kidding )

I will tie on the feather with a couple loose wraps a bit long then draw it slowly into place. I am right handed so I will hold the plume where it is tied in with my left to guide it and pull with my right. I find this way the feather will lay straight and I do find it fishes better.

By the way the black marabou over the white chenille and red marabou throat cool fish catching fly!!!

ok...if i shorten the black marabou to the hook bend what should i use as a tail???or should i not even put a tail on it???

The way you have tied the black marabou is at the head, so it is a wing. If you want you could try it that way, or tie on a tail first of black marabou, then the chennile then wing and throat. Do you know how to tie on a marabou tail. I will be here for about an hour or so, if you need help ask away. I will do my best

Yup, to tell you the truth I wish I was there or you here. I could tell you and show you at the same time. Here is a link to a video step by step on how to tie a woolly worm and woolly bugger. There are other step by step videos there as well

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10953

To tie on a tail of marabou I preen the feathers as mentioned and dampen then measure the feather. shank length. That is how long a marabou tail feather should be. You first start your thread about an eye space back. Making sure your feather is laying on top of the shank, and measured correctly, start wrapping over it rearward, to just above the barb. I like to take a turn or two at that point around the feather by its self then a few turns again just above the barb to secure everything. This will prop the feather up and help prevent fouling in the hook gap. Watch the video and let me know if you need more help. Once you got that down pat I will tell you a couple more marabou tricks.

Oh yea by the way how old are you? I think I remember Steeldrifter saying that you were one of the youngest members on the site.

i cant decide weather to keep the eyes or not??? what do u think??? and also, should i put wire on the fly to weigh it down or not???

As I said I think Steeldrifter said that you were one of the youngest members here, and If I or any other member can help you with fly tying. So that you can be tying flies and catching fish quicker than what it took me to learn. Believe me I am still learning everyday. I and I think other members here would be more than willing to help you out.

ok, thanks!!!

what do u think about adding wire to the fly???should i or shouldnt i???

or maybe just a bead head would work because i want it to sink or drift downwards but not to fast because i like to fish my bass flies with a "dieing fish action".